Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infraworks positioning

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
drazen-ars
541 Views, 5 Replies

Infraworks positioning

The last few days I played around with Infraworks. Tried to understand what could be the position of Infraworks. Initially I thought that Infraworks could be used for some GIS purposes (viewer). My idea was to import raster images, DTM and pipeline (sewage). It is great how easy and fast those contents could be generated and showed.

But, I failed with the data. Seems to me that I cannot show in table view of any feature (i.e. pipe network) additional data (i.e. year of construction, flow type, status and so on). When I import some contents from any source and when I define feature type, that feature has predefined set of data, without possibility to change it. I didn't find a way to rearrange data table layout (data order, switching off some data, adding new data). Even I tried to find in installation directory some data schema (some XML file) which can be maybe manually edited. The only way is to show in predefined data (i.e. Generalization) one of my specific data. Don't think that it is right approach. I tried with IMX, LandXML and SHP import. The result is always the same.

Does anybody have any ideas, comments on that. Seems that initial idea was wrong.

Drazen

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: drazen-ars

I see InfraWorks as a civil design and municipal planning tool for project conceptualization and preliminary design. It allows you to create various "Proposals" that work as design options and it allows very fast and easy ability to create snapshots and animations of your design.

If your client comes to you and says he wants to build a convenience store at the corner of Main and First, you can use InfraWorks to model the existing conditions, in their real-world locations, using Data Sources and then offer multiple design solutions from which your client can choose. It makes very fast work of creating exhibits for public consumption. 

Some versions of IW allow you to upload your models to a web location so that others can view them with an iPad and even move about the designed project if they are on location and their iPad has cellular service. It's very cool to be able to hold your iPad in front of you and see where the building will be while you're on the site. It's like looking through a camera to the future.

You're right, this is not GIS. It reads GIS so it can place the defined objects properly on the globe.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
drazen-ars
in reply to: tcorey

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your answer and opinion.

Seems to me that your vision is the right one.

Infraworks delited me with the variety of options of importing and styling.

I have another question. Ok, we have rich library of different elements which can enrich managed site. Of course, I do not have some which I need. For example I would like to have set of sport facilities (tennis court, sand voleyball, swimming pools, ...). I can do something with existing coverages, but it is not as effective as can be. Just imagine that we have parametrized tennis courts, with lines, net, judge chair, ... Is there any possibility to make "intelligent shapes" to be used inside of Infraworks. Do we have any possibility to add from any source such kind of elements? Do you have any idea how to make it?

Regards,

Drazen

Message 4 of 6
tcorey

There are thousands of 3d models for free at 3dWarehouse. There are also other sites that have free models. Many are .max files that need to be opened in 3ds Max Design and then saved to .fbx or .3ds for use with InfraWorks.

If you need to make your own models, you can use 3DS Max Design or AutoCAD to model whatever. AutoCAD will export to .fbx and 3ds Max Design will export to fbx or 3ds. As long as you have the Infrastructure Design Suite Premium or Ultimate, you have the tools you need to create an extensive model library without much effort.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 6
juanpelegrina
in reply to: tcorey

Dear Tim

Where can I find more information about watching my projects on site? I already have a 3D model ( a city with all the water pipes...) I would like to be able to watch the model on site in my i pad. As you said before it is possible but I don´t know where I can find more information about it.

Thanks

Juan Martin

Asset Visualisation Technician

Message 6 of 6
tcorey

You will want to explore InfraWorks 360, currently free with subscription, but soon to become a fee-based service.

Your iPad must have cellular if you want the on-site features.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report