Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Augmented Reality - camera settings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JohnDutz
913 Views, 4 Replies

Augmented Reality - camera settings

Are there any tricks to fine-tuning the field of view / focal length settings when using the augmented reality features in InfraWorks?

If you take a look at the attached image, we've turned off the road and terrain surface, which makes the effect more pronounced.  The direction is almost correct, but the field of view and focal length appear to be out of whack.  I'm using an iPad Air with AIW 2014 R4.  Does 2015 offer any features to improve the augmented reality experience?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dswilson
in reply to: JohnDutz

Is there any chance that is a meters to feet conversion problem? Is everything in the original model in meters or is there a mix of meters and feet?
Message 3 of 5
JohnDutz
in reply to: dswilson

Interesting thought.

The design model is entirely in meters. What's strange is that it gets the location right, but not the angles - so I think the units are correct. It seems more like we need to fine-tune the camera's field of view or correct for lens distortion somehow.

John Dutz
Principal
CAD/BIM Manager - Infrastructure
403-246-4749 ext.1032251

[Description: Description: Description: Description: MHLogo]
Suite 300, 6807 Railway Street SE
Calgary, Alberta
Canada T2H 2V6
Message 4 of 5
Manuel.Wellmann
in reply to: JohnDutz

Hi John

What you describe is most likely caused by GPS inaccuracy - which can be up to 60m off the actual posisiton. Looks like the app 'thinks' you would be standing left of that road (somewhere up the little hill). There is a second AR mode which only takes device orientation into account but ignores position. So what you could do is manually navigate to the right virtual position and use this orientation only mode.

Best

Manuel

Message 5 of 5
JohnDutz
in reply to: Manuel.Wellmann

Thanks Manuel,

I agree that positional accuracy is a problem, but it should be accurate enough for what we need. Even if it were the issue, manually positioning the device can be very difficult when nothing has been built, yet.

I don't have any pictures, but we tried manually positioning the device and we could get it close on this site, since the roads were already built. The street lighting still comes in completely off from where it should be.

John Dutz
Principal
CAD/BIM Manager - Infrastructure
403-246-4749 ext.1032251

[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: MHLogo]
Suite 300, 6807 Railway Street SE
Calgary, Alberta
Canada T2H 2V6

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report