Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArcGis Geodatabase Import?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
TimSR
2493 Views, 7 Replies

ArcGis Geodatabase Import?

Does anyone know if Infrastructure Modeler can open a Geodatabase file from ArcGIS? I need to find a way to either open these files in an AutoDesk product, or find a way to convert the files to shp. I don't have ArcGIS.

These files come in a directory with a .gdb extension, then have a lot of files under that. I can't even figure out how to open them in a trial version of ArcGIS online!

Thanks, Tim

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tstanev
in reply to: TimSR

The current release of Infrastructure Modeler does not support file geodatabases.

In the future support *may* become possible via GDAL/OGR (http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_filegdb.html).

Meanwhile, you can download a tool like ogr2ogr and convert your file geodatabases to a format that Infrastructure Modeler can read, like SHP.

Message 3 of 8
TimSR
in reply to: tstanev

Thanks, I took a look at the link but have no clue what all of that means. Is the there any conversion software where I click the filename, and it converts it?

It bothers me that municipalities are selling us these formats and we either have to have ArcGIS10, or the ability to do whatever is is you do with ogr2ogr. LOL

Or, is it easier than I think it is?

Thanks for help.

Tim

Message 4 of 8
tstanev

It's a command line tool that you can call with the right parameters to do the conversion. There is an example in the page I linked. To get the ogr2ogr tool, you can probably download the FWTools package from here http://fwtools.maptools.org/

I have not used the tool to read file geodatabases, so I don't know how well it works, but have used it for other conversions, like SHP->PostGIS->SQLite, etc.

Message 5 of 8
TimSR
in reply to: tstanev

Thanks for the help. On this one, I resorted to working my way up the food chain at the county to get someone to write all the files to a shp format. However, I will try your suggestion and see if I can "learn me something", lol.

Seems crazy to me that the county people are writing to formats that are such a pain to read and convert. I'm going to post the question in the AutoCadMap group. I'm trying to figure out how we had the ability to do this in the AutoCadMap 2011 subscription advantage pack, and in 2013 we do not. I think having to reload 2011 and the SAP and then convert would be a little nutty.

I'm just of the opinion that nothing should have to be converted. The programs should be able to read the data. When people like ESRI get too confident in their grip on the industry, they start thinking they can proprietize the data. People should use a program because they like it, not because there is no other choice.

Thanks!

Tim

Message 6 of 8
davelawrence3d

I am someone that works with ESRI and autodesk products, and it is far more efficient to work with file geodabases on the ESRI side of things, I really wish there was a way to import this data directly into infraworsks instead of exporting. I have set up a script to seport data so this is quick, but all the staff that work with esri data work in file geodatabses and if I convert I am no longer liked to the live or most recent data. This creates opportunity for quality errors.

Message 7 of 8
lapis
in reply to: davelawrence3d

I am using InfraWorks 360 (LT) 2016 (16.3) September 2015 release.

I have access to FGDB from here which I can import as a DB data source.

(Connection type: Generic --> Provider: OGR: OpenFileGDB)

Then I configured the vector data source gebouw_3D_LOD1 as Buildings and assigned the HOOGTE data source value as Height attribute.

But when I tried to zoom in to the model, the buildings dissapear. As soon as I zoomed out, buildings re-appear.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Edward

Message 8 of 8
lapis
in reply to: lapis

As an addition to the issue: I just have figgured out that the Application Options > 3D Graphics > Display Detail setting can have an influance on the zoom distance, showing the building much more longer when this is set to Low Detail.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report