Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D model problems

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
davewebb
838 Views, 5 Replies

3D model problems

Hi,

I have a problem with infraworks 2014.  I have attached a 3d DXF of a transmission line design as a 3d model.  Poles only.  Then i insterted the conductors as a dwg, converted it to a Pipe network.  Everything looks ok, but as you can see from the 2 attached pictures when i render the scene, everything is perfect.  But when im just in the viewer it self.  The objects don't line up.

Any ideas why?

Dave

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: davewebb

Hi,

>> But when im just in the viewer it self.  The objects don't line up.

I guess as the highest priority for the display is speed, while for rendering it's the quality it's a problem of your display-driver or some optimization settings.

You might therefor try in the options if Infraworks to play with "General" ==> "Display Detail" or "Model Generation" ==> "Terrain Simplification" (as the terrain seems to be lower on display, that might come from simplification) or maybe an update to your gc-driver helps.

What might be interesting is: is the Z-difference of the mast to the lines (on display) equal for all mast-objects in your project and for all angles you look to, or is it depending on anything like camera-position?

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
JamesMaeding

why waste time on pipe networks?

Instead, create 3d solids in acad using your 3d plines and the sweep command.

Then save as fbx and import into IW.

Note that I have found you must type FBX_Export instead of calling the command from menus.

Some people run into this and some do not, probably another (yet another) CUI issue.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 4 of 6
davewebb
in reply to: JamesMaeding

The reason I use the pipe function within IW is that I'm lazy, and it basically does a sweep any way.

Plus when you have 6 or 7 hundred 3d polylines to sweep, it could take a while

Message 5 of 6
JamesMaeding

oh, 6 or 7 hundred plines?

I have a lisp that automates the sweep operation but that is still a lot.

Also, sweep sometimes does not work if there are certain kinks in the pline as I have unfortunately found out.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I am interested if you can use rendering?  In my infraworks 2014, the render is not worked.  What do you set to use the function?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report