Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant import IMX files from civil 3d to AIM

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
demianbournissen
2491 Views, 16 Replies

cant import IMX files from civil 3d to AIM

Hi, I´m new at this and im trying to learn to use civil 3d and infrastructure modeler.

Both program are 2013.

the question is im having problems to import the IMX file that i did of a surface on civil 3d and exported in that format.

y stablished the same cordinates y both programs.

when y import the file in AIM the program reconizes as a terrain, but doesnts appear in the view.

Please, any help will be great.

Sorry for my poor level of english.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

did you configure it, so status is "Imported"?

Right click on the item to configure, then hit close and refresh.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 3 of 17

Hi, yes i´ve already did that, and also configurate the same geolocalizaton betwee the file i export from civil 3d and the new proyect in the infrastructure modeler. So in the configuration tab doesnt appear that as problem.

The program also reconizes the import as a terrain but, after the processation of the information nothing appear in the view.

Message 4 of 17

ok, I would try these things:

1) try bringing in the imx into a blank AIM model, setting the model coord system the same as the acad drawing. That may be exactly what you are doing...

2) make a fake surface that is just a rectangle at elevation 100, export as IMX and bring into new AIM project.

report what the results are.

You want to narrow down if its related to the project, surface, or coord systems.

Message 5 of 17

i tried to do that exactly process again, in new files and setting the coord system, using a surface from the contour made from a rectangle at elevation 100. 

i print screen the steps.

when the data import its made, after the refresh, during the loading appears in the view something that seems to be the surface but then disapear.

something thata looks strange is that the surface seems to be loading arrond a sphere.

so, its difficult to me to define if the problem is related to the coordinate, the surface or another program issue.

i have doubts about the extend limits of the file that appears in the options at the start.

thanks!

Message 6 of 17

another the doubt is if i have ro geo-reference the surface before importing as imx to the AIM.

because the oly thing i do is define the coord system in the file.

Message 7 of 17

I am also having the same problem. I cant import Civil 3D surfaces or other objects to InfraWorks through IMX. I am setting the coordinate systems to match, both in Infraworks and Civil 3D and nothing happens.

The data link appaers and it says "Configured", but still all I am seeing is the globe with no surface or anything anywhere. I tried it with two different models from different projects and neither works. I actually tried it through sqlite and sdf too, but none of these methods do anything.

What might be causing the problem? It would be great if someone had a solution. There is not much info on the internet yet. 

btw: I am using the 2014 version of Civil 3D and InfraWorks.

Thx

Message 8 of 17

That thing where it seems to show processing, and sometimes a blue tile near the project, then goes away, is because the surface is coming in way away from the model.

Now, if its the only data in the model, it should zoom to it.

Seeing your screenshot, you pulled in other stuff besides a surface.

I would avoid that until you can pull in a simple surface and have it show.

What coord system are you using in acad?

I would leave the IW system on default of LL84, no real good reason to change that in my experience.

I typically use CA83-VIF for project system in acad, I am in southern California.

What happens if you make a simple surface only and pull in through IMX?

Maybe post a simple IMX and I will try it for you.

Message 9 of 17

Thanks for the quick resonse.

Actually I have tried using LL84 and also a Norwegian coordinate system. Neither worked. Also tried only importing the surface first, which ended up with the same results.

Now I made a simple rectangle surface with the heights of the corners between 30-40 meters. For some reason, the import still does not work. I have no idea what else I should set or do different. I am sure it is some minor detail as always 🙂

Does InfraWorks need to write in system folders when it imports or only the folder I specified for it to use with the project? Is there a reason to check the write permissions in the Civ3D/enu or something folders?

Anyhow. I attached my test IMX and test screenshot, would be greatful if you could import it.

IMX cannot be uploaded so I zipped the imx with the dwg and the jpg here.

thx heaps

Message 10 of 17

Now when I import the previously attached test.imx file, I get this result on test2.jpg.

Many surfaces scattered around. But the elevation of them seems about right. They are around 31-37 meters and the test surface was at that elevation.

Weird.

Message 11 of 17

Update: I asked for a working file from the local Autodesk distributor and when I import the SHP file he sent and it still does not show. There are some rectangles with a timer on them that appear at the right coordinates, but I dont see the surface...

I made two screenshots.

Super weird and I have no idea what the cause might be.

Message 12 of 17

It works now.

In the Data Source Configuration window, on Source tab I added the Set Elevation option to be Geometry, plus I also put the whole model to 0,0 in Civil 3D and now it works.

Hurray 🙂

Message 13 of 17

That is Minecraft taking over the world....creepers everywhere....

Message 14 of 17

put the whole model to 0,0?

That should be the worst thing to do as most systems I deal with start with 6mil, 2mil, way far from 0,0.

This is a good starting point though.

Are you saying other imx's behave now also, or just the simple one?

Also, did it come in correctly, or are you just happy you are seeing it at all?

Half of IW is just showing up 🙂

Message 15 of 17

Well, when I put it to 0,0 and made autocad's coordinate system to non defined, Infraworks automatically chose this coord system: UTM84-1N and the model I wanted to work appeared, so I am happy with it... 🙂  I only want to make some visualization for a project so even if it is not completey correct, it will work just fine.

Message 16 of 17

I would recommend you grab a shapefile of your areas coordinate system zones, and pull into acad to see if they make sense with where your linework is. Be sure you set the from and to systems correctly.

Then pull that same shapefile into IW as coverages.

Then make a simple shapefile using some project linework, setting coord system to what you normally do.

Pull that into IW and see if it lines up.

It seems like the error going on is IW reading the system you are assigning.

This is tricky as it might be that both acad and IW are doing your project system wrong somehow.

I think the systems are defined in the folder:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Geospatial Coordinate Systems\

so could be wrong for all adesk apps.

I think you need to try some sample data from others to make sure IW at least behaves with them too.

Message 17 of 17
binayashahi
in reply to: JamesMaeding

hey i have also same problem. i have a surface in civil 3d. i exported it to imx and then imported it in autodesk infrastructure modeller but it does show up in AIM. what could be the reason. my files are attached herewith.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report