InfraWorks General Discussion

ameyer6884
Message 1 of 4 (350 Views)

Why do sketch-up buildings not fully import as fbx models?

350 Views, 3 Replies
05-14-2012 07:51 AM

I have attempted to import numerous sketch-up models that I have converted to FBX models using 3DS Max.  Once configured and Interactively Placed, it looks like only 75% of the building actually comes in.  You can see thru walls, there are a pieces of the roof missing, etc.  Any reason why this is or how to fix it??  Are the models just too large for the software to handle?  I have had success with a couple homes, but more often than not, these Sketch-up Models just don't fully come in....

Thanks!

Employee
konstantin.baumann
Message 2 of 4 (343 Views)

Re: Why do sketch-up buildings not fully import as fbx models?

05-15-2012 04:26 AM in reply to: ameyer6884

Can you provide a link to the original Sketchup model and the FBX you created from it?

Which settings did you use during model import into 3ds Max and during export to FBX?

Did you try to enable "Show backfaces" within AIM? Often faces/polygons/triangles are not consistently oriented so they "point" to the opposite/wrong direction...

Active Contributor
knurrebusk
Message 3 of 4 (333 Views)

05-16-2012 09:39 AM in reply to: ameyer6884

I use Simlab (plugin for Sketchup) that export/import fbx direct, but if this is some models from warehouse!

Loads of strange stuff, and check normals, and so in is needed.

Max has some scripts that might help, so do Sketchup.

http://www.scriptspot.com/

Employee
konstantin.baumann
Message 4 of 4 (314 Views)

05-28-2012 11:58 PM in reply to: konstantin.baumann

@ameyer: perhaps you could provide a concrete sample dataset triggering this issue, so we can have look into that?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community