Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Displaying Ground Imagery (.sid) over Terrain (.dwg)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Impact_Infrastructure
1836 Views, 7 Replies

Problem Displaying Ground Imagery (.sid) over Terrain (.dwg)

I have downloaded terrain data from the city of Vancouver (Canada) website http://data.vancouver.ca/datacatalogue/index.htm and imported it (it is a .dwg file: http://data.vancouver.ca/datacatalogue/elevation.htm) into Infraworks 2014. Vancouver elevation points: http://data.vancouver.ca/datacatalogue/elevation.htm.  So far so good. This is displayed correctly

I next downloaded ground imagery data from the same source: http://data.vancouver.ca/datacatalogue/2011facetsGridSID.htm. Again I imported the Vancouver 2011 Orthophoto imagery package into Infraworks, configured it. But I cannot see it.

See the screen capture (attached and inserted below) showing the layers are active, in the right spot (I think). Is the problem that the .sid imagery file is raster format and the elevation is a drawing (vector) format?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Capture1.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Can you provide some info about how you configured the import for the terrain and raster data?

The screen you attached shows the raster data source as "Configured" (which means it is sufficiently configured for the actual import) while the terrain data source shows as "Imported". Did you already imported the raster data once? If not, simply select the data source and trigger the "Refresh" action.
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the response.

Yes, the terrain was imported and refreshed. After the refresh it did not show as configured but still as imported.

I did this again and captured the following during the process:

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Briefly at the end of this process it says creating raster tiles:

Capture5.PNG

But when done it shows as Vector rather than Raster.

This is an elevation .DWG file that after importing I configured as terrain.

The resulting featrure shows as:

terrain.PNG

Wheras the ground imagery was a .sid file and I think it was automatically configured by Infraworks. It shows as:

gsi.PNG

Message 4 of 8

A data source that was successully imported/incorporated into the virtual model is listed as "Imported", while one that is only sufficiently prepared for import is listed as "Configured".

Your terrain is imported as type "Vector" as the source is a DWG file (for TIF and other raster based sources it would be "Raster").

As you cannot see the ground imagery and it still shows "Configured" (i.e. prepared but not actually imported yet) in your data source list, did you try to refresh this ground imagery data source? Is it still listed as "Configured" after you triggered the refresh? If it is listed as "Imported" but not visible in the canvas, is it actually contained within the extent of the terrain data (i.e. does it cover the same area or a subarea as the terrain)?

Hope this helps,

Sascha

Message 5 of 8

The data do align in terms of coverage so I think I can rule that out as a potential problem.

From your note I now understand the difference between imported and configured. I was thinking that configured was a higher level of integration than imported but it appears as if it is the reverse - that imported is better/more integrated than configured. I am experimenting with this and will report back.

Many thanks for the quick response - much appreciated!
Message 6 of 8

Many thanks for your help.

You were correct that the ground imagery was "configured" but not refreshed and therefore not categorized as "imported".

The refresh took a while (large model coverage) but the result was as you predicted that with botyh terrain and ground imagery having a status of imported the model works (see image below that shows the two data layers and the layered view).

Capture_success.PNG

Message 7 of 8

Great! Thanks for reporting back.
Message 8 of 8

Let me ask a question here. I am a new member here and I`ve just started studying Infraworks 360 during these days. I have nearly the same problem like this. In my case, I`ve been imported the terrain and ground imagery as raster type. But after importing the terrain and try to import ground imagery, both of them cannot be seen. In the data source panel, both are imported. Could you please help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report