Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pine Trees

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
thoellering2
1624 Views, 7 Replies

Pine Trees

Hello all;

I'm in Alaska, and all the work we do involves some sort of Pine Tree, Sitka Pine to be exact. But any pine tree will do. The Infra 2014 does not seem to contain any pine trees. Where might I find some?

Attached is a Snapshot of my very first attempt at using this product - wish I had pinetrees though...

Thanks,

Thomas Hoellering

Anchorage, Alaska

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CAusman
in reply to: thoellering2

Three sources I've used in the past are:

Google Warehouse

Free. In Collada format to be converted to something useable

TurboSquid

Varying price.  Usually has a range of formats of varying compatiblity

SpeedTree

Cost of License.  Exports to FBX

Needing a fair number trees native to my location, I ended up getting a SpeedTree license and now model my own as needed.  The files can be imported as single models, or with a little bit more work added to the tree library.

Message 3 of 8
thoellering2
in reply to: CAusman

How do you import those trees into IW, so that they are available on the pallets and you can change them and use them with the Vegetation Pallets and the Coverage Area Tools? I really need to have pine trees, otherwise this program will be no good to me...we do work for over 300 Native Alaska Villages, and alot of them are in the South East, where the country is hilly and heavily wooded, sort of like the Oregon / Washington area, especially along the coast.

Many thanks,

Thomas

Message 4 of 8
tcorey

Take a look at this earlier thread regarding 3D models. One of the referenced sites should offer what you're looking for:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-InfraWorks/A-source-for-3d-models/td-p/4304839

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 8
CAusman

Importing is quite easy in 2014. (see attached full size image)

On the Home Tab > Style Palette > 3D Model > Vegetation > Add

Select your file  and configure the model to suit (simplification, scale, rotation etc...)

My workflow usually involves fbx but it can import dae, obj and 3ds as well.

You should be fine with pines because the software seems to randomise the scaling and they're generally faily symmetrical.  I find the rotation is fairly uniform so when using more asymmetrical trees I generally end up manually rotating some to break up the pattern.

Demo.gif

Message 6 of 8
thoellering2

THANK YOU!!!!

Message 7 of 8
thoellering2

That worked very well - many thanks! Now, how does one edit these .dae files? I need the color of the trees to be darker. Only very young pinetrees are bright green. Older ones are almost black thats how dark green they are. Once again - many thanks!
Message 8 of 8
CAusman

No worries. As far as I know you'd have to do the editing before importing.  I use 3DS Max to edit my .dae files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report