Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Latest Infraworks Project

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rcochran
1007 Views, 11 Replies

My Latest Infraworks Project

Here is my latest Infraworks project.  I was tasked by the developer to creat a 3d Model and animation to show the local Planning Commission.  It took a couple of days.  I had to create the buildings from the architects elevations in Sketchup.  The survey, site plan, and grading were provided by another consultant.

http://youtu.be/3vjNjtw46s4

Comments........

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jaturner
in reply to: rcochran

Great job on the videos!!!  Very impressive!

Message 3 of 12
nrdamayanti

Wow! Thats amazing. You do a great job. The model looks very detail.. 

My team and I also create some sample model for several segments. Check youtube using keyword : indocity

Ema

Message 4 of 12
JamesMaeding

nice models.

How much of that did you do with the streets in IW, and how much with surfaces in C3D (or other tools in acad or sketchup)?

What I am finding is you need the control of C3D to do anything but super simple designs, so just curious.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 5 of 12
JamesMaeding

btw, that first video link says the vid is private in youtube. keyword search works though.

Message 6 of 12
rcochran
in reply to: JamesMaeding

I did not use Infraworks streets for my roads. I used Civil3d surfaces (from a corridor) with coverage areas for striping, roads, shoulders, concrete, and grass areas draped over it. I have an easy method for striping coverage area. I used barrier style for my concrete median barriers and guardrail. I used city furniture for my light pole and cars. Each light pole block had a unique rotation and when I exported them from autocad (mapexport), I made sure I also exported the block rotation. That way I was able to bring them into IW at the correct rotation. I actually found one of the poles in the middle of a ramp. 

I also find it easier to place  a block in my autocad drawing for the cars. That way I know that they are in the center of lanes and pointing the right way. Make a simple rule for the cars to randomize their appearance.  I made the bridge and retaining walls in Sketchup from scratch. It was based right off the structural plans. I grabbed some traffic signal poles that looked close from the Sketchup 3d warehouse and modified them. I also grabbed a couple of additional cars and trucks to add more variety. Did you notice how my project is protected by the Autobots. 

I've been using IW more as a 3d visualization tool for different phases of a project than planning tool. 

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

Message 7 of 12
rcochran
in reply to: JamesMaeding

I moved the youtube video to my company's youtube page. Check out more of my projects

Http://youtube.com/user/ah3dviz

Message 8 of 12
JamesMaeding

Precisely what we are doing, making the surface ourselves.

I asked because Autodesk has new tools for roads and I am on the lookout for people using them.

Message 9 of 12
Hammer.john.j

How did you do the animination of the vehicles?

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 10 of 12
rcochran
in reply to: Hammer.john.j

On the more recent videos on my company's YouTube page: Atoka Roundabout, Chattanooga Airport Rental Car Expansion, and Patriots Circle, I used Lumion.
Message 11 of 12
JamesMaeding

ha ha, minor detail eh?

Kind of hijacked your own thread.

The state of things right now is not if you can do a 3d visualization, its how fast and to what level can you do it for a given price.

For civils using IW, the main things are how nice you detail your surface, and how you color it - with a draped image, or textures applied by coverage areas (much nicer for streets).

We hired someone good at 3ds max, so now I get to see how that prog handles all that.

Then there is Lumion...one more to lok at...

Message 12 of 12
jaturner

John,

It is the camera that is moving and may be giving the illusion that the cars are moving.

Julie Turner-Mitchell
Senior AutoCAD Operator
Public Works Department
City of Aurora
15151 E Alameda Pkwy
Aurora, Colorado 80012
Desk: 303-739-7452
jaturner@auroragov.org
[The Core 4 Live IRCSP email_2]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report