Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrastructure modeler geometry import from Civil 3D

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
yoganand.m
1264 Views, 1 Reply

Infrastructure modeler geometry import from Civil 3D

I am a new user to AIM(Infrastructure Modeler) and have been trying to import geometry created in Civil 3D into AIM. I used 2 formats till now.

1. LandXML: Imports corridors as roads and surface as surface

2. IMX: Imports alignments as roads, surface as surface, corridors as coverage areas.

I appreciate the IMX plug-in in Civil 3D 2013 but it doesnt help me visualize my corridors in AIM as I could not find a way to visualize coverage areas as roads. Also, the roads(in AIM) created using the alignments in Civil 3D cannot be widened or narrowed when two lanes merge or a lane diverges.

Hence, I ended up using LandXML in which I can visualize corridors (from Civil 3D) as roads in AIM. Another problem I face here is that AIM does not recognize roads which are off the terrain (bridges and elevated ramps) and is draping all the roads to the surface. I have Civil 3D model in which a highway(multiple alighments) runs over a road with bridges separating them. But when I visualize in AIM, all the alignments get intersected with the road below them and the surface also got adjusted according to it.

Is there a way to make the geometry follow its original design and not get altered when imported to AIM. I have also inserted two screenshots in this message of the model. One from 3ds Max model showing correct geometry. The other one in AIM with incorrect geometry. Both have same Civil 3D file as the source.

Kindly suggest if there is a better format to import geometry from Civil 3d into AIM.

Thanks

3dsMax.JPG

AIM.JPG

Windows 7 x 64
Nvidia Quadro 2000
24 GB Ram
i7 960 @ 3.20 GHz
Civil 3D 2012
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: yoganand.m

What you will have to do in your case is break the geometry on your road and replace that section with a bridge from the Style Palette.  I had to do this just the other day.  You will have to do some adjusting with the grips to get it to look correctly.

You can also check that in the Configure dialog box that you don't have Drape checked as an option.

Todd Rogers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report