Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX export !

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
knurrebusk
3068 Views, 12 Replies

FBX export !

I´m very satisfied when it works, but sometimes for no reason it´s just fails exporting anything 😞

Since IM does the best FBX import/export I ever seen when it works, I wonder why this happens?, the same terrain exports perfect if no geolocated satelite image (it´s all correctly aligned in IM) reason I want´t it so badly to export with the terrain.

It´s a 46mb hires geotiff, and terrain is a 2,5 mb 5m geotiff, I tried with a 1m 70mb  also, if there was lack of info in the small one.

This is a brilliant tool, if can be better documented, and consistant when export for Vizwork..

It even has me floored with the roadtools, and wonderful import of Landxml for sites, would be even better if simple sitetools was around like the great roadtools.

So driveways would join up with a site if sloped, so on.

Most of all this is a great tool as it is, but can always get better. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
knurrebusk
in reply to: knurrebusk

It was related to an error in geolocation in the ground imagery, after relocate/reference it in Qgis it worked fine 🙂

Even managed to export 500mb of 1m data, with roads, into Max, very nice mesh exports from IM, 12million polygons, but all of them needed, very little unneeded subdivision :), impressed.

Message 3 of 13
cjandrews22

This sounds great.  Would you mind posting a pic?

Chris

Senior Product/Product Line Manger
Media and Entertainment Cloud Services
Autodesk
Message 4 of 13
knurrebusk
in reply to: cjandrews22

I will do that, just need to get my SSD rig up, add some details, I already tested it with IM, and it´s just a huge relieve to get rid of the endless Hd acces times, and rattle rattle sounds.

No buildings, yet though, only terrain/high res sat, and roads, so not to exiteing.

But it do export very nicely, so I´ll post a nitro shot from Max, but real goal is to get it into Octane Render, and 3gb GPU is needed, and lots of ram, I think 16gb, will install 32 just to be sure.

I see a powerful ver of Cityscape growing from this, some dimtools would be nice since neven Civil3d hurts if go into 3d detail like possible in IM, very promising for future.

I´ll posted it right know if I could locate it, but migrated 3tb of Os/data files, and got a lock on all my important folders, need to figure out some owership rights I guess.

Message 5 of 13
knurrebusk

I got this 300mb fbx to import very nicely, and renders very fast (less then a minute a frame).

The larger ver grown to 1gb+, imports just fine too, but the roads dont cut into the terrain, or fill :(, so needs more testing.

The roadshoulder is even included, even if difficult to notice since most of it is in the terrain itself.

Some errors from the OSM file I used, the autogen of roads work great, but this is just a test so I never checked it before import.

Message 6 of 13
cjandrews22

Thanks for posting those shots. Very nice!

Getting roads to fill can be tricky if you want some to fill and others to drape on the terrain.  It works best if you have known elevations for all of your roads, then you can use that absolute elevation and you'll see some filling and cutting.

If you change a road through manual editing, you shoudl also be able to create some cut and fill effects.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Cheers,

Chris

Autodesk
Message 7 of 13
knurrebusk

I´m thinking it might be LOD related, need to test some more.

When select a smaller area, more zoomed in everything perfect!, wonderful software, even the trees look great, and dont add much polygons.

Message 8 of 13
cjandrews22

Hmmm... I agree, if that's an LOD thing, it's not too pretty.  Thanks for the positive comments though!  Let us know if you need any assistance.

Chris

Autodesk
Message 9 of 13
knurrebusk

Thank´s for the offer for help, I will ask for it in abundance if my former boss will venture into this.

He is an engineer, and into architecture he he, but will jump the IM wagon anyday if can get a combo ala the Revit rchitecture Suite, with subscribtion to hires elevation data etc.

No youngsters wanna do the old style infrastucture civil engineering work, He got 2 Sons that will love this in 5yr 🙂

I waste waay to much time in IM, that should be used in Revit, but it´s so powerful I need to find an exuse for the http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=16505474&siteID=123112 if can find support moneywise.

I also know Adesk will deliver in the connection to Revit series in time, so just for the perfect translation of Revit materials to FBX I´m feeling IM is worth it, then I could go on and on for the rest of it, I´ll keep the speach for my Friends he he, they will love it.

Got 4x4km to work with zooming into each corner when choose area to export.

The fog/color is to hide the cut, the beauty of the IM winter trees/roads terrain is clear, only 9million poly´s.

Closeup of green ver not to bat at all!, still supriced by FBX format also, not only IM 🙂

My comfort is IM, will get attention in time, like Revit, so will FBX format, I love it.

1,2 gb, is there a limit?, if don´t need to adjust in Max, just render I guess only IM 🙂

The trees never was ment for close up, but with some adjustment they will look amazeing!, but define the areas of greenery is more important, then export em as draped  independent polys, I worry they import with wrong elevation though, so perhaps it´s best to just happer it out in one big file, FBX is supposed to support instances, so of exported like that!, very powerful indeed.

Sorry spellin, on mobile.

Message 10 of 13

I ve got a shapefile with building footprints and a height attribute. I extruded the buildings using this height attribute in AIM. Works fine. Now I'd like to export my model to ArcGIS.

Since AIM unfortunately only knows the fbx export format, I have to use Autocad Map 3D or Civil 3D for the conversion to 3ds or dae or 3dshp or whatever. Unfortunately, the export from AIM to Autocad Map3D does not work at all. The buildings are appearing, but the Coordinate system gets lost after FBX imnport in Autocad and the model is somehow damaged - I am not able to measure the objects. When I try to export to 3D Shapefile, it always filteres all my objects, so the export would turn out empty.

This is a pity - AIM seems to be a very intuitive program, but its limited export capabilities and the errors and detours via Civil or Autocad Map 3d make it impossible for me to export my model.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Kathrin

Message 11 of 13

Has anyone a clue for me? Data exchange with Autocad Map 3D also does not work, I don't know why. If I export fbx or dxf and reimport into AIM, it works. But export to Autocad always turns out as a huge mess of "modern art".

Message 12 of 13

Hi there, I'll be needing a similar feature as well.  AIM is so much easier than drawing in many other apps, that I don't bother doing some prep in other apps.  Anyway... you're mainly after building footprint details?

I have a hunch that you can pull the data out of the source SQLite database or the files in your project at a low level.  I'm digging into myself and will let you know if I figure it out. 

For anyone else reading this who could share a high level overview of the file formats and structures used in the data files.. I'd be much obliged if you could point me to the right docs for reference.  In my case I need to also batch load a bunch of data using other tools (GDAL/OGR, FDO, etc.) so want to hack together my own.

More to come... hopefully good news - but don't hold your breath!

Geo-geek, Publisher, Author
http://LocatePress.com
http://WebMappingIllustrated.com
http://actian.com/products/ingres/geospatial
Message 13 of 13
costas_mi

PLEASE HELP ME!!

I am trying to export roads  from modeler to fbx but when i open  the window of export  there is no field for roads in the export of multiple files!!!

i reinstall modeler but the same thing again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report