Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring in 3d faces from acad to aim at correct coords

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JamesMaeding
620 Views, 4 Replies

Bring in 3d faces from acad to aim at correct coords

I am trying to do this:

1) make a civil 3d surface and explode to 3d faces (easy)

2) bring the 3d faces into 3dsmax, and apply textures (easy)

3) save as 3ds and bring into AIM at correct coordinates (hard)

I can place the model using interactive, but what are the settings I should use to have AIM place the model?

The coords in acad are the same system as in AIM, there is no translation going on.

Do I need to tell 3dsmax something about the coordinates, maybe that they represent feet, to come into AIM correctly?

I am well aware of using IMX for surfaces, you cannot apply textures the way you can with 3d faces though.

thanks

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
srrc
in reply to: JamesMaeding

How did you go with this? I have read that 3ds shifts the job closer to 0,0,0 and that you can retrieve the shift coordinates from within the drawing. There seems to be a few other posts and videos on this.

I am trying to do something similar with 3d triangles in civil 3d but instead of applying materials in 3ds just attach materials by layer to the triangles in c3d then take this straight into Infraworks with materials showing. Not sure of the best way (as a block, geometry file etc)

Any thoughts?
Message 3 of 5
JamesMaeding
in reply to: srrc

that whole workflow is acoomodated by coverage areas and rule styles in IW.

You export closed plines via shapefile, then pull into IW and set up nrule styles by layer prop to assign the materials.

Then you can export as fbx which I hear has the triangles separated by material.

AutoDesk has no idea how unique that workflow is to the world of people dealing with tins.

Or maybe they don't talk about it because someone had to invent the internals.

If you try to write a tool yourself that selects triangles within shapes, you must really have your head on straight with optimization.

It takes time to calculate if all three points are within a shape of lines and arcs.

I have done it but am happy its not the way to color things in IW.

Message 4 of 5
srrc
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Ok I'll give that a go. Thanks

I'm using Advanced road design which doesn't use corridors or assemblies only surfaces and profiles from c3d so it's not as easy to do it the way autodesk recommends which is to assign different materials between link codes then export to FBX. Apparently it retains the materials with the export.

I'm also using Rapid Design Visualisation at the moment but I prefer the graphics and speed of IW.

If I created a block from C3d surface triangles and assigned materials to them do you think IW would retain the materials if inserted as a block?
Message 5 of 5
JamesMaeding
in reply to: srrc

believe me, if everyone tried to use corridors just so they could color their visualizations, there would be a lot of unhappy people from their bosses yelling at them for taking five times too long to do things.

Things like subdivisions are best done by making surfaces, then using shapes to apply materials.

If you happen to be in that 5% that have simple enough projects to model with corridors, have at it.

We only use C3D to make the surface from 3d polylines. We have our own tools to make the 3d breaklines from alignments, profiles, and sections.

That ability allows me to comment in a true manner like you, if you are using ARD.

We are not stuck on the amazing bad compromises C3D makes to get some kind of "dynamic at all costs" environment.

Its tragic as these are programming geniuses that have made an odd final product.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report