Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding 3d model with geo. coords.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
philip_hon
931 Views, 4 Replies

Adding 3d model with geo. coords.

I do like AIM as it got a lot of benefits for huge models. Smiley Happy

An issue I have to due with is adding 3d construction models. Til now I have to request a 3ds-format to manually import it by scaling and rotating. Does anyone manage to import a 3dmodel in dwg/fbx/dxf with its geographic coordinates?

Would be glad if anyone can help me out with this. I receive models in dwg with objects in 3dblock/3dsurface/region. I tried with each objecttype at once, but it seems neither of these can works in AIM.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Partenheimer
in reply to: philip_hon

I have the same problem. We have Revit buildings in FBX format that we want to bring in with coordinates. We have tried various exports from Revit but can't get the structures to import at thier geographic locations. I wonder...Does the FBX format support coordinates?

To make matters worse the structures are so "heavy" that it is not practical to interactively place them. (50 second lag time with each attempt and no visual cue.)

Message 3 of 5
philip_hon

Try this.

We figure out that it's possible to place the 3D construction model in geopgraphic coords. by defining a reference point before export to FBX/3DS or else. The reference point should be near the 3D constructionn model and defined tactically so you can use it for several models.

Write down the X,Y and type it in the configuration window in AIM.

In other words, the reference point may become the insertion point in AIM. I am not sure if you must place the point to the left lower corner of the 3D model.

Message 4 of 5
Partenheimer

Philip,

Thank you for the response. We'll give that a try.

We also devise a work-around.

We create two FBX models from Revit with the same coordinates; the full "heavy" model and a "light" floorslab-only model. In AIM I'm able to insert the "light" model interactively. I use 2D Center. After moving and rotating the "light" model to my desired location, I rerun the Interactive placement but this time, as my insertion point, pick the point in AIM where the model's blue elevation cone is located. I then update the configuration which changes the insertion point coordinates to that location. I note the X, Y, Z coordinates on the configuration page and the Z rotation value on the model's property page.

I then import the "Heavy" model using Center 2D, and the X, Y, Z coordinates, and Z rotation noted on the "light" model.

Finally, I remove the "light" model.

Regards,

Michael Partenheimer

Message 5 of 5
JamesMaeding
in reply to: Partenheimer

ouch. One thing I am working on is the java script that lets you place 3d models from shapes. Its in the wikihelp but I have not tried it.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report