Impression (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot import a raster image - please, PLEASE help!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
skattula
2156 Views, 21 Replies

cannot import a raster image - please, PLEASE help!

At my wit's end...
I tried importing a cad image with a raster image background into Adobe Illustrator, but found Illustrator's CAD interface was a nightmare. About a 12 hours of work down the drain. Now I am finding Impression's raster image import to be one. Already about 4 hours into this...just trying to copy and paste basically.

I have a 3000 x 2000 pixel, 72 pixels per square inch jpg file (42X30 inches, less than 1 meg file size) I have been trying to import as a background into impression....every time I import it comes in fuzzy. In photoshop it is clear as can be. Tried importing, opening it as a new file, copying and pasting, no matter what I do the image is RUINED. I thought that perhaps it was just a function of Impression to save it as a reference and the print would be OK, but upon printing it is still the same unreadable fuzzy image every time. It is a site map, and it is important that the jpg stay large and sharp to be readable.

My hands are literally shaking I am so frustrated.
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rfjerstad
in reply to: skattula

Skattula;

When you import the image are you stretching it down to fit a smaller paper size or did you configure your document to be 42x30 inches. If you didn't stretch the raster after importing it I'm not aware of a reason why you'd see a degraded (fuzzy) image.

There's not a document background option but you can position it and lock it into position so that you could then to additional design work on top of it. Be sure to Arrange your layers so that the raster is pushed all the way to the back before locking it.

HTH's

-Rob
Message 3 of 22
skattula

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate more than you think!
Nope, not stretching it down, and my document size was and is set at 42X30 inches.
Already tried locking it and all that...and arranged it in back.
I tried importing the image into cad, and then importing the cad file with the image in it, i exported to the cad with the jpg to dwf and imported and it was still degraded. Tried downsizing the image to only 200K and importing it...and it even degraded the already degraded image more (I know, I can't believe it either!). I looked in every menu (literally just scrolled through every single command and menu) to see if there was a master setting for raster import size limits or defaults.....NOTHING.

I'm trying to do a site plan for a masters' thesis project...I've tried Revit, illustrator, and now Impression....spent much time on the forums for all these products.
By the way, i am using the educational version...could this have anything to do with raster images being unreadable?
Message 4 of 22
skattula

my only hope this point is someone from the autodesk team sees this post and can help out...
Message 5 of 22
rfjerstad

Skattula,

This sounds odd and I can't think of any reason you are seeing a degraded image - I tried several JPG images of different resolutions and I was not seeing a fuzzy image unless I stretched the image. Importing a ~2Kx2K image into Impression R3 looked the same as it did opening it MS Picture Viewer or Paint.

If you want to send me the image I can take a quick look at it - there's no difference in raster handling in the educational version compared to the commercial. This has to either be an issue with the image or your graphics hardware. What is your system configuration?

Thanks,

-Rob
Message 6 of 22
ShanaProd

Hi - couple of suggestions (it would still be good to send us the image file and your Impression file):
- make sure your graphics card is updated to the latest driver; this could be the source of the problem
- try saving the image as another format (not JPG) and bringing that new format into Impression

Thanks,
Shana
shana.priwer@autodesk.com
Message 7 of 22
skattula

Thanks again for the replies.

I checked my graphics settings...I was at 1280X720 and I changed to 1920 X 1080 resolution...no difference.

I've got an isolated ATI HD 4550 (w2230) graphics card that is 512 MB running Adobe CS4 Suite & Revit rendering just fine.
Windows determined the driver software is up to date.
I converted the jpg to a tiff, png, psd, and gif...same thing each time.

Attached is a low resolution half-size of the image...but when i insert it, it looks about a quarter as sharp.
Message 8 of 22
rfjerstad

Hmmm, your sample image looks fine for me. Can you post a screen grab of what the image looks like on your system in Impression?

Also, I'm assuming you're running the Impression R3 EDU version - can you confirm that?

Thanks,

-Rob
Message 9 of 22
skattula

yes, i am using Impression 3 Ed Version - just downloaded 5 days ago. I have used ver 2 on this computer in the past with no problems.

This is the Impression screenshot: (it prints out just like this no matter what the print resolution setting)
Message 10 of 22
skattula

original image screen shot at the same scale
Message 11 of 22
ShanaProd

The image works fine for me here. I'd suggest going to your graphics card's driver website and updating the driver to whatever their latest is, rebooting and trying again.
Message 12 of 22
skattula

I tried going to the ATI website - I have the latest drivers. Rebooted - still nothing. I appreciate the help, this is very frustrating. I have been using photoshop type programs for years, and HAD been able to use Impression 2 effectively. If it were a minor degradation, I would shrug my shoulders but it is a site photo and I cannot even see the outlines of the streets. Thanks again, but it seems like I cannot really use Impression anymore.
Message 13 of 22
ShanaProd

Do you have another computer running Impression that you could try it out on?
Message 14 of 22
skattula

are you sure there are no hidden settings that import or paste all raster images at (my guess) 25% degradation?
I am running:
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Adobe Illustrator CS4
Paint
Paint Shop Pro
Open Office Drawer

none of these programs have this complicated issue where copy/paste does not work...so I really don't think it is my computer.

Did Autodesk change any default settings in the last week on the downloads?
After I downloaded the Ed Version from Autodesk via my student email account, Impression did not go through a procedure where it asked me to license it - it just opened. Is this new? Could this have anything to do with this problem?

Everything else in Impression is working fine - should I re-install it?
I tried doubling the size of the image too, but it was then too large to import.
Message 15 of 22
skattula

I'll try installing it on my laptop tonight
Message 16 of 22
skattula

I installed Impression on my far less powerful laptop (has no video card) and it worked just fine.

I tried re-installing Impression on my graphics desktop and the same problem still occurred - raster images are still completely ruined.

However, weird that all other graphics programs like Adobe, other Autodesk etc work just fine...great in fact.

So, a bug in the program with an ATI HD 4550 512 MB graphics card made by Sapphire is my best guess. Any way to pass this on to the autodesk team?
Message 17 of 22
skattula

I am still in disbelief somehow that this could be a graphics card issue - it just seems weird that with a card capable of playing Gladiator in HD is the culprit when even Paint Shop circa 1998 can open and edit with ease on the same computer (let alone the edit Adobe suite).

Any final thoughts?
Message 18 of 22
skattula

Any chance there is a hidden settings file for opening and importing raster images? On the C drive somewhere? I cannot understand how this would be a display issue if all other images of the same resolution on every single other program are reading just fine. I opened a 4000X2000 JPG with Impression, saved it (it still said 4000 by 2000), and then opened that saved JPG in Photoshop and Paint Shop and the file was different - completely ruined. This would seem to imply that it is not a display issue but some buy in Impression itself. Thoughts???
Message 19 of 22
skattula

buG in impression
Message 20 of 22
skattula

has this issue of Impression not working with ATI graphics cards come up in testing at all?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report