Did you mean: 

Where is new Impression site?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
architex
5735 Views, 8 Replies

Where is new Impression site?

Trying to find Impression site for help, tutorials, etc.

All search links lead to Autodesk Plant Exchange...

One page directs you to Autocad Exchange, then the AutoCad Exchange directs you to Facebook and Youtube.

Once you are on Facebook, there are no links to Impression.

This is laughable and alarmingly sad...

Did anyone from the company tried these links?

Can someone point me in the right dirsection?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: architex

The product is dead: it only exists as a subscription freeware for now until someone decides to pull the plug permanently.

This forum exists for users to help other users: if you want to ask here, you can.
Message 3 of 9
architex
in reply to: pendean

Thank you pendean.

Too bad, I found this to be a great tool.

Is there another software people are using for quick presentation?

Message 4 of 9
pendean

You can do it all inside AutoCAD, using 'true colors" option and the many newer hatch options.
Otherwise you are looking at professional level software like Adobe InDesign and Illustrator (or output to PDF and use Photoshop) and the many lower cost compatibles to them.
Message 5 of 9
KeithSWD

I tpp am missing loads of functionality from Impression which I cannot find in Autocad 2013.  Luckily I have a copy of Impression 3 still lurking...

For starters, I find Impression invaluable for creating PDF's for import into Photoshop with all the layers intact, just by bringing a Layout (or a layered DWF) into Impression 3, applying no styles etc., and then immediately saving to a PDF with preserve layers turned on. I can then work on it much more efficiently than PDF's created directly from Autocad which are always flattened when rasterized by Photoshop. Maybe Illustrator could do this but I haven't got on well with it.

And I still like the sketchy line look that I have only been able to achieve by using the Wiggle Pencil or Wiggle Pen of Impression.

And the watercolour fills...  how do you do either of these in Autocad (or Autocad plus Indesign or Illustrator). If you have any links to info I'd really appreciate reading up because clearly Autodesk is dropping IMpression and I don't know how long Impression 3 will be a viable option.

thanks

Message 6 of 9
pendean
in reply to: KeithSWD

Yes, Impression is a great tool that no one else seemd to want except for a few of us. There are many Autodesk tools I enjoyed that have also gone the way of the DoDo.

There are no 'watercolors' in AutoCAD: what you can do is what is available, play with true colors and transparencies. I'm sure you are very familiar. I'm not a heavy user of Illustrator or InDesign, but both of those are complex programs that do need serious study to get teh best out of them.

There are some YouTube vidoes for AutoCAD to Illustrator tips, as well as many end user forums: I've not seen a dedicated webpage on the topic, but it does a good job of opening DWG files.
Message 7 of 9
KeithSWD

Ok - thanks Dean. I am so surprised that Impression seemed to appeal to so few. Perhaps it was due to poor marketing. It seems to have suffered a similar fate to that of Piranesi, the excellent 3D painting tool (admittedly with a daunting UI much in need of simplification). Both products have withered without any announcement from the developers. And why Adobe do not allow Photoshop to preserve layers when rasterising PDF's completely baffles me. Even just that would make for a much more efficient workflow to coloured raster based illustrations font those of us who prefer do use tools other than Autocad.
Message 8 of 9
pendean

My favorite, and long dead, was Autodesk Walkthrough.
Message 9 of 9
joselube

Solution for install impression 3 on Windows 8:
1. Extract the content from installer (I recommend using winrar or winzip to extract in the same folder).
2. Right click over "Setup.exe", Properties, Compatibility, Compatibility mode, Windows Vista (SP2), Apply, Accept.
3. Run "Setup.exe", clic "OK", wait (if it show ERROR click OK, OK and Accept and run againg), click Next, Click "I accept", click Next, again and again, it shows ERROR, clic OK, OK, Accept.

4. Run "Vespa.msi" and try several times (at least three times) to install, if you have succesfully installed, congratulations!! If not, continue reading...

5. Right click over "Vespa.msi", Properties, Compatibility, Compatibility mode, (earlier)previous version of windows, Apply, Accept.
6. Right click over "Vespa.msi", Properties, Compatibility, click "run the compatibility troubleshooter", click "Test (Run) the program" button, if it show ERROR, clic OK, OK, after click again "Test (Run) the program" button, click Next, Select "I Accept", Next, Next, Next, (If you have UAC actived, Click YES) wait until the installation is complete.

Note: Try several times doing click "Test (Run) the program" button on the compatibility troubleshooter program window if the program is not install. or try closing all windows properties windows and reopen the properties and compatibility troubleshooter.

Play with all compatibility options of "Vespa.msi" incluided run again with compatibility options disabled

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report