Impression (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since Impressions does not appear to be supported by Autodesk anymore...

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bflorence
11303 Views, 9 Replies

Since Impressions does not appear to be supported by Autodesk anymore...

We only use it for 2D color renderings for clients and it has worked just fine in the past.  But now we are updating our computers which renders it incompatible with Impressions3.

Has anyone found an alternate software program that similarly does what Impressions does?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
makovich
in reply to: bflorence

Why are your computers incompatible with Impression?
Are you switching to Mac ?

Impression 3 works OK with W7, but you have to download and install a "hotfix" patch.
Just google "Impression w7 hotfix patch" .

Cheers,

Max. 

Message 3 of 10
bflorence

When we get new computers we will upgrading to a 64 bit system and will be upgrading to Civil 3D 2012 (we currently are on Civil 3D 2011).  Impressions is no longer supported by Autodesk and, as you have seen, there is very little if any, forum help.  My research has found that Impressions will run on a 64 bit system but the performance will suffer greatly,  So based on the not-supported issue and the performance drop we are looking for an alternative product.

Have you or anyone found a rendering program that will allow you to update the cad geometry as Impressions does?  That capability alone is huge for us as our designs quite often change through a project.

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
makovich

I'm currently using it Ing a W7 x64 machine. To me, it seems that the most important thing is a good videocard and updated drivers.
probably any performance hit you might experience might be offset by the speed increase of new machines.

Regards,

Max.
Message 5 of 10
bflorence
in reply to: makovich

Max

Thanks for the info, that's good to know that it can be run on a 64 bit computer and you are using it.

I have 2 follow-up quesions for you:

Are you referring to the updated drivers from Autodesk?

And, what video card are you using?

Message 6 of 10
makovich

I'm currently using a gaming card: Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 and W7 64.

The drivers are latest downloaded from the Nvidia  website.

I don't know if there is another program like this available. I think Autodesk will eventually wake up and remember they have this wondeful little program and resume development.

Cheers,

Max. 

Message 7 of 10
bflorence

Thanks

I spoke with our dept. head this morning and although it will run based on our conversation, because it is not supported by Autodesk, he wants me to start looking for another program.  We currently have Adobe Photoshop so this is where I will start focusing on.

Thanks

Bob

Message 8 of 10
makovich

Actually, I would reccomend you use both.

For the last couple of years I worked on website development and had to use Photoshop a lot.

Now, I find that you can improve and modify in many ways your renderings with Photoshop. Even traditional media renderings.

Let me show you just an example, I'm attaching a couple of renderings.

The media is markers and ink on vellum. But the rendering is scanned, touched up in photoshop, enlarged and printed with the company title block.

In this case, it was decided to lower the balcony parapet and use an ironwork railing instead but the artwork was already finished.

I took the rendering and did the changes all inside photoshop without having to redo all the rendering (there was no time anyway).

In other Impression rnderings, I have added shadows, adjusted colors, etc. with Photoshop.

So Photoshop is a must-have tool, definitively. But It does not replace Impression.

I'd say go ahead and get Photoshop and learn to use it. You'll later wonder how you managed without it.

Also, take a look at the Sketchbook products from Autodesk. Both Sketchbook Pro and Sketchbook Designer have a lot to offer and may be closer to what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Max. 

Message 9 of 10
bflorence

Thanks for the heads-up on SketchBook.  Your renderings are great, Max!

Message 10 of 10
makovich

Thanks!

But the perspective was made by a friend. I just fixed it lowering the parapet and adding the ironwork railing on the upper balcony on the right.

This is a plan I rendered all with Impression 3 but I added some of the shadows with Photoshop. 

Cheers,

Max. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report