Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressions and windows 7

121 REPLIES 121
Message 1 of 122
monksanand
13302 Views, 121 Replies

Impressions and windows 7

I dont know what the problem with windows 7 or the net framework SDK of windows7 but here are some problems i am facing.
I am using impressions 3
Windows7 build 7100 x64 Ultimate......ATI Raedon - HD4850, 2.2GHz core 2 duo, 2GB ram.

Issues:
1) Saving a file as native impression format.
2) Opening a file.
3) Importing an Autocad file.

What happens: Each time i try and do the above the file crashes and doesnt work....goes to the crash screen asking me to send a report to AUTODESK for errors. well i have done that few times already.
I installed impressions in a VISTA x64 ultimate system and worked my way easily without such errors and completed my work, saved the file as native impressions format as well as a pdf for prints later. Basciallly it was the issue of the net framework 3.5 sp1 fault that i dint work earlier on the friends PC. I installed the hotfixes as well as netframework SDK 3.5 SP1 on it and everything worked gr8.
But WINDOW7 is just not budging its way to work....tried reinstalling SDK....tried reinstalling Impressions.....tried to run it as a vista and XP but nothing.

Can AUTODESK please find a fix for this???
121 REPLIES 121
Message 2 of 122
monksanand
in reply to: monksanand

Impressions does work falwlessly while working on it.....it just doesnt save or let me keep the work i have done on it.....and plz autodesk dont give me a soultion like ITS NOT compatable with windows7.......i think its only a Netframework Problem....i am sure i few tweeks can help us get it working on windows7.
Message 3 of 122
KPSWD

I have a similar problem; I can open the DWG, import the layout I want, the import process goes to 100% and then the drawing appears on screen, immediately followed by a message saying 'Impression cannot open this file", and I get thrown back to the Open File dialog.

However, I think the chances of getting help from Autodesk on an OS that is still in BETA is not that high!
Message 4 of 122
KPSWD

Just for info, since Impression 3 seems a no go under Win7 for now I tried installing it in Win7's XP Mode. Unfortunately the installer refuses to run in this environment (which is terminal services based). And it seems that only 16-bit colour is available anyway.

I am now installing in a Vista virtual machine instead until a Win7 compatable release is available.
Message 5 of 122
TotalMech

running windows 7 (64 bit) on hp touchsmart tx2 - 8 gigs ram - radeon hd 3200 graphics card (on motherboard)

have similar issues but a little different. HTH...
reinstalled IMP3 and it will import a file on the first session. but it will fail to import any more files after that and bonks! then when running the program again it bonks any time you click the import selection on the file menu. what fun - totally broke.

what is curious is why did it work the very first time and then fail.

I will try and reinstall again. import and then close the session. maybe because it never closed the program properly it is having issues... more later
Message 6 of 122
KPSWD

Just for information, I have the Windows 7 x64 RTM build installed now, and the problem is the same.

I have abandoned running Impression on Windows 7, and run it in a Windows XP Pro Virtual Machine instead. I will wait for a fix from Autodesk before trying it again.

K

Message 7 of 122
bluekid

Has any one solve this problem..............??????????????
or is auto desk giving up on impression?
it is kinda strange that there is no update since the day of release............
Message 8 of 122
KPSWD

I agree - the silence and lack of updates is odd. I am so impressed with Windows 7 that I intend to update our 3 Vista workstations ASAP, but all of them use Impression now and then and I don't want to install VMWare just to run a virtual XP machine for Impression.

I am sure Impression is still being developed, version 3 has only recently been released...

Is anyone from Autodesk reading this and able to comment?

Message 9 of 122
rafael_nubile

I have experienced the same here!
Message 10 of 122
kellyhoman

does autodesk not respond to this forum anymore??
Message 11 of 122
jtickenoff

This problem is bigger than Windows 7....Autodesk is just completely ignoring this software. I contacted them a few months ago (for the very first time) about another Impression realated issue (faceted arcs), and was basically told that no one was knowledgable enough to anwser any Impression related questions.

After upgradng to Windows 7 I tried importing a .dwg file to Impression 3 and it goes straight into adesk crash mode.

I'm giving up on this software for now....zero support. Back to Adobe.
Message 12 of 122
KPSWD

Bump. Another week slips by and still radio silence from Autodesk.

I am feeling like dumping Impression too now, if it is not going to be supported. Jtickenoff, you say that you will go back to Photoshop, which I use to process illustrations that have been through Impression to convert the CAD geometry to 'wiggle' pencil strokes and to get the watercolour fills. Do you know of anything else that can convert the lines into the hand-drawn wiggly look?
Message 13 of 122
R_Laufer

Just adding my 2 cents...any fixes? We are at a stand still and are doing renderings by hand with markers! We are small and don't have photoshop (nor will we buy it). Is autodesk not going to have impression anymore? It seems that way since they no longer post here. I used it because it was part of my subscription and really can't afford to buy a new rendering program right now (markers are cheaper!) Any suggestions on a good CAD to rendering style program I can get that isn't to expensive? I'm giving up on having impression back...I just don't know how I will ever be able to recover all the irf's I already have.
Message 14 of 122
KPSWD

I have been in contact with Autodesk via my subscription support, and thought I would share the response:

"It looks as though this is actually a Microsoft issue. Our developers have logged this with their contact in Microsoft and we are currently waiting on feedback from them. I have requested an update from our developers and will get back to you when I hear from them."
So at least it looks like we will get our fix, but still none the wiser about when.
Keith

Message 15 of 122
c.bergthold

Any response on this?
Cory
Message 16 of 122
scstm

I have just installed Impression 3 in a new HP TouchSmart tx2 under Windows7 and it installs from the downloaded Subscripton site OK but when you lauch from desktop get about 80% loaded and reports "your installation is corrupt..."
I have done it totally all over 3 times just to make sure!
As an Architect I love Impression for quick sketchy looks of my Revit Arch models and elevations.
No other Autodesk product has such a wide range of color fill texture styling tools.
ASBPro is way too light on effects to be worth using.
I do hope Autodesk keeps the Ipression code going into the future.
When can we have a fix?
Message 17 of 122
KPSWD

scstm: It seems you have a different problem there. The incompatibility problem with Impression and Win7 appears when you try to use it. When I have installed it on Win7 (which I have also repeated several times), the installation proceeds without issue, and the program even starts normally. However, as soon as you try to open a file (DWG/DWF) an error is generated saying that the file cannot be opened. And if you try to create a file from scratch in Impression, you will get a similar error when trying to save it.
According to Autodesk Support, the problem lies with Microsoft (dotnet?). I am not sure whether MS agree.... so there could be a standoff, which might explain the delay in resolving it.
I urge anyone who is impacted by this issue to contact Autodesk support via Subscription. We need keep up some pressure to get a resolution. We need keep up some pressure to get a resolution.
Having said that, the low activity on this forum makes me wonder how big the user base for Impression is, and thus how high a priority fixing it is for Autodesk.
Message 18 of 122
Matt.Anderson

I noticed this last week when digging around for another fix:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14056444&linkID=9240617

Impression is currently not supported on Windows 7.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 19 of 122
c.bergthold

Hey at least now we know they are aware of it! Whether they plan on fixing it any time soon may be a different story.
Cory
Message 20 of 122
Matt.Anderson

Do you want it to be a priority?

Let the project teams at Autodesk know that: Product Feedback

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report