Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13
ront
706 Views, 12 Replies

Aerial

Hello,

Working with a AutoCad drawing with aerial background. Opening or importing into Impression does not bring in the aerial image, nor does it bring in the layer that contains the aerial. Options are to allow for image upon import / open but nothing seems to work. Image size is 4000 x 2580 so it is under the maximum size for Impression.

Any ideas on how to bring an aerial image over to Impression?

Thanks - Ron
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ShanaProd
in reply to: ront

What format is the image, and does it work if you import it separately into Impression?

thanks,
Shana
Message 3 of 13
ront

I've tried it as a jpg, tif, and bmp. No luck in the aerial or the layer coming into Impression when I open the cad file on Impression. I've gone back to detach all other images from the cad file and made sure the frame to the image was on. None of these helped.

As a stand-alone import it works fine and comes into Impression. Even after I open the DWG file and then import the aerial the image appears though it's not to scale and is rotated, in other words the image without the cad manipulations comes into Impression which is not the intent. I'm trying to get the aerial to come in just as shown on the layout.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ron
Message 4 of 13
ShanaProd

Xref-attached images are supported. Are you exporting from modelspace or paperspace?
Message 5 of 13
ront

I've saved the DWG in both modelspace and paperspace and then Imported and Exported into Impression the specific layout that I am trying to render. In Autocad I've tried the xref route for the image as well as just pasting it directly into the model. The aerial nor the layer for which the aerial resides comes into Impression.
Message 6 of 13
ShanaProd

Are you in Impression 3, or an earlier release?

Can you post the file and image attachments?

thanks,
Shana
Message 7 of 13
ront

Yes Impression 3. DWG file is 1.6 megs and got notice that file is to big to post. Can you give me your email?
Message 8 of 13
ShanaProd

shana.priwer@autodesk.com - make sure the xrefed image is attached.

thanks,
Shana
Message 9 of 13
R_Laufer

Any fixes for this yet? I've had this problem since the first version of Impression. The powers that be wont use it until I can get high quality aerials in there. I just downloaded version 3 and it still doesn't work. I've tried the xref thing. I end up using photoshop to make something usable, that I lose resolution.
Message 10 of 13
ront

The issue is not reolved yet. It's odd that I can bring in the aerial by itself but not in conjunction with a drawing. I was asked to reduce the resolution (yes this is a big issue to reduce the quality) and then to Import / Open/ Export the drawing to Impression. I had this aerial down to 28 dpi and 1000x645 and it still would not come into Impression until I had a small section of the image frame inside the viewport of the layout I was importing. I can Import the drawing without the aerial and then import the aerial seperatly. But then we lose the coordinates and scaling / clipping is an issue. Would be nice just to be able to import the drawing with an image already set to the viewport per the layout.

Lets just stay on top of this because this one issue will keep me in subscription mode with Motive Systems the makers of M-Color. If Autodesk can fix this I will switch.
Message 11 of 13
ShanaProd

The defect number for this is 1226055; I've marked it a Priority.

My experience is the more or less the same. I can load the file if the image resolution is reduced; I can attach the image to a clean DWG and import successfully into Impression. For the time being, if you want to do this in Impression I'd suggest attaching to a new DWG and saving; loading the original DWG without the image; then merging in the DWG-with-image.

thanks,
Shana
Message 12 of 13
gtrias

Just curious - Was there a lot of xclipping, rotating or viewporting associated with the image?
Message 13 of 13
ront

No xclipping. Image was not rotated but view was rotated to PLAN. Image is in a viewport in Layout to fit border of sheet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report