Highlight your work
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Psyche - Character modeling studies (Part 3)

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ivan_iliev
26547 Views, 12 Replies

Psyche - Character modeling studies (Part 3)

This is the third stage of my character modeling studies, the Leg and the Foot.
Building a convincingly looking low-poly knee is not an easy task. I need another loop there to add some more details and achieve a better look. The main problem is that her destiny is still not clear. I think I have to dress her sometimes in the future, don’t I. 🙂
And therefore I am still not able to decide how far I need to go with the modeling of details not so visible to the general public. I’ll better wait and see.

ivan

Link to Part 1 (The Head) area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3D-General/highlight-your-work/psyche--character-modeling-studies-part-1/
Link to Part 2 (The Torso) area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3D-General/highlight-your-work/psyche--character-modeling-studies-part-2/
Link to Part 4 (The Hands) area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3D-General/highlight-your-work/psyche--character-modeling-studies-part-4/

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
billbeaumont
in reply to: ivan_iliev

I think your work is great, better than mine that's for sure.

Here's my critiques:
Those toes are too long compared to the foot.
The jaw is quite heavy for a female
I think her ribs are too wide OR....
there should be more of the muscle that goes below the shoulder blades at the edge of the back (latissimus dorsi - lats).

Her legs and buttocks look very powerful, and her and neck arms too. It just doesn't fit with the lack of lat muscle.

Oh, one more, I think the knee cap should be a little bit wider!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the arms!
Message 3 of 13
ivan_iliev

You are very precise Billbeaomont, thank you for the comment!

Anyway this is not a human model, this is Psyche.
I am after a kind of Archetype based of the esthetic of ancient Greece (late Classic and Hellenism) and the Italian Mannerism. (See Attachment)
The beauty archetype of ancient Greece is androgynous, so the Man-Women nature of the model is deliberate. This is actually the Goddess of the Soul.

All this explanation doesn’t mean that I am perfect or very successful, therefore any critiques are very much appreciated, thank you very much indeed.
I will not neglect your suggestions.

Everything needs adjustments and improvements. It is a work in progress.
The head will be surely revisited. Not only the jaw but the nose and the mouth need improvements. Also I will probably make two variants of the head, with modeled hairs and with hairs generated through the “Hair” plug-in. (If I find the energy to go that far.)

Now the greatest challenge is coming you are right, the arm and the hand.

ivan

Message 4 of 13
Steve_Curley

One minor nitpick would be that the shin bones seem a touch too pronounced, though that could be an effect of the lighting or be deliberate (I'm not familiar enough with Greeks, ancient or modern, to know 😉 ).

Excellent work Ivan, as always 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 13
ivan_iliev

You are right Steve there are many details that need some improvement.
I want first to achieve the main work and then with the lighting (now there is only the default light) I will do the final adjustments, there is much to be done.

Thank you!

ivan
Message 6 of 13
RodBiffi

Ivan,

I am also studying the female anatomy through Lowpoly modelling and soon will be able to post what I have achieved so far. I am glad for the similarities of some loops you managed to find, specially in the quadriceps/hip area. It seems that I am not that crazy. I am trying to avoid pre-conceptions and establishments brought by the huge Tutorial culture we are current living in.

My only concern is the loop inversion you gained with a rotated square at the lower part of the calf. It's kind of pinching the flow that passes through. Maybe a free flow with the edges going down to the foot and narrowing to form the Achiles' tendon would make a cleaner solution.

Sorry for the bad english vocabulary for anatomy. Had to search wikipedia for the terms, 😛
Message 7 of 13
ivan_iliev

My only concern is the loop inversion you gained with a rotated square at the lower part of the calf. It's kind of pinching the flow that passes through. Maybe a free flow with the edges going down to the foot and narrowing to form the Achiles' tendon would make a cleaner solution.

Sorry for the bad english vocabulary for anatomy. Had to search wikipedia for the terms, 😛

Good catch Rod, I also have some doubt and will maybe reexamine this solution.
It was just an acceptable compromise for me, is low-poly and is not far from the anatomy.
I see that you understand perfectly the sense my endeavor, the common topology solution, aimed to serve the Game industry and very good for this topic, bring a kind of “balloon”, that doesn’t take the structure and anatomy into consideration. I’m trying to find topology solution which corresponds to my understanding of the matter andm I don’t have this mortal fear of the triangle. Sometimes this is just the logical solution, for example where the toes
are touching the ground. Thank you for the comment!

ivan
Message 8 of 13
ekahennequet

Hi Ivan,

I appreciate you posting the updates on this project. Seems that you've been busy. Thank you for sharing them with us. It's a treat. 🙂

Anyway this is not a human model, this is Psyche.
I am after a kind of Archetype based of the esthetic of ancient Greece (late Classic and Hellenism) and the Italian Mannerism. (See Attachment)
The beauty archetype of ancient Greece is androgynous, so the Man-Women nature of the model is deliberate. This is actually the Goddess of the Soul.

Another more practical explanation I've read in the past is that many of the painters from that period had difficulty finding female models to pose nude (except prostitutes). Many of them used male models for initial drawings and later modified/added female anatomy to the figure. Of course, not all of them were done this way, but many were. I've sometimes found old masters' female figure works, as great as they were, awkward in this regard, and this explanation somewhat answered and satisfied the question I had. 🙂

My only comment would be that the model seems too modern and athletic for Psyche. But this may just be my pre-conception of Psyche.

I am trying to avoid pre-conceptions and establishments brought by the huge Tutorial culture we are current living in.

I cannot tell you how great I think your attitude is. I think some basic tutorials are necessary for people to get started, but with abundance of tutorials out there, many rely too heavily on tutorials than solving problems on their own. On the other hand, if there are established ideas that help jump start other great ideas, then it's not such a bad thing either. 🙂
Message 9 of 13
ivan_iliev

Hi Ivan,

My only comment would be that the model seems too modern and athletic for Psyche. But this may just be my pre-conception of Psyche.

Thank you for this post Anna!
Yes there is a kind of pre-conception, because Psyche was always considered through her relation to Eros or before she has been immortalized and become Goddess.
(Initially she has been a human.) All artists from the antiquity to our days painted her as a tender woman.
I would like to bring another (a bit different) interpretation of the story and beside of it, making her so athletic, I would be able to create Eros out of the same model just after a couple of adjustments. 🙂
I will certainly dress her later in an appropriate way so nobody could see her muscles. 😉

What about male models posing fore females you are absolutely right, this has been a common practice in the Renascence and the Middle Ages.

Anyway the ancient Greece has absolutely different approach to the nudity and erotic, so there (in ancient Greece) this surely was not a problem at all. 🙂

ivan
Message 10 of 13
joshpurple

(Wow! I just found this thread, pardon I did not see it sooner! 🙂 )

Outstanding work, and great to see you continue with it, -Thank You for posting it up. Creating Eros out of this model sounds like a good idea to me.

I really enjoy the low poly foot work (all of it!)

I'm guessing you plan on posing her? (So you'll be adding bones & using the Skin modifier, etc.? ) Very COOL to think of what your scene(s) will be, especially considering your background on the subject.

Would / Will you be low poly modeling the hair, or using the Hair modifier?

Again, GREAT, and Thanks for posting the continued work on it 🙂 .
Message 11 of 13
ivan_iliev

I'm guessing you plan on posing her? (So you'll be adding bones & using the Skin modifier, etc.? ) Very COOL to think of what your scene(s) will be, especially considering your background on the subject.

Would / Will you be low poly modeling the hair, or using the Hair modifier?

Again, GREAT, and Thanks for posting the continued work on it 🙂 .

Hi Josh,

You are reading my thoughts, I will certainly try to animate her but till then there is a work to be done.
What about her hair, as I already mentioned it above, I will try two variants, textured low-poly volume and generated with the Hair modifier. (All this only if my energy and craft doesn’t abandon me somewhere in the middle of this long road.)

Thank you for the encouraging words!

ivan
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

really great modeling.
Message 13 of 13
ivan_iliev

Thank you Aslan, I also like the stuff in your profiles!

ivan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report