Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to follow video - Create bodies in a lamp design

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
sprior913
210 Views, 1 Reply

trying to follow video - Create bodies in a lamp design

I'm trying to follow along with the "Create bodies in a lamp design" video and am getting stuck with the draft command on the cylinder used for the base.  As soon as I long press to select the plane, sometimes the WorkPlane is available as an option and sometimes it is not.  It seems to have something to do with whether I start the long press on the plane indicator.  Then when I'm trying to select the top face to tilt it seems I am only able to select the side of the cylinder, not the top.  I actually managed to do it once but couldn't figure out how (or repeat it).

There seems to be "magic" context to some of these things which is not explained in the video (or anywhere else that I've found).  It's this kind of undocumented behavior that has really driven me nuts when learning Fusion 360.

Can anyone clue me in on exactly how to perform this operation reliably?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
donsmac
in reply to: sprior913

Your cursor should be over the workplane you want to choose, if it's not it won't show in the popup list, only everything directly under the cursor shows up, but the list depends also on your selection settings. When you chose a workplane you chose the horizontal one as the reference for the draft (it doesn't work because it's parallel to the face you want to draft). Just pick another plane, then you can select the top of the cylinder and draft it. 

You can choose any flat face, not only work planes. The pivot of the draft is the intersection of the two planes that pass through the two surfaces you choose. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report