Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sculpt: split body/face then draft...

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2186 Views, 6 Replies

sculpt: split body/face then draft...

I am finding that after I split a face or body I am then unable to draft the new face/body. Do I need to do something after to make it selectable?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rishivadher
in reply to: Anonymous

can you post an image of what your tying to do

Message 3 of 7
AndrewSears

Can you export the file and post here also?

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

here's a simple block where I split the face and want to "draft" the triangle to about 25 degrees...

Message 5 of 7
jakefowler

Hi Jason,

If I understand correctly, I guess the issue you are seeing is that you pick one half of the split face as your ‘Plane’, and when you try to the select the taper face, the other half of the split can’t be selected?

This is due to the way the ‘Plane’ input works for a draft operation. In the background, we’re extending your plane selection and your selected taper faces, and the intersection of these is used to build the ‘pivot’ for the draft angle. Something like this:

draft2.png

However, what this means is that the Plane can’t be coplanar with your taper faces (these have ‘infinite overlap’, so we can’t find an intersection for the pivot). This is why you would not be able to select these two halves of the split as your plane and taper face.

The best way to do this is probably to create a construction plane that passes straight through your split edge, and use this as the ‘Plane’ for the Draft operation. The video below shows how to do this (remember to deselect Tangent Chain before picking the taper face, so that it doesn’t automatically pick both halves of the split):

http://screencast.com/t/SWtPAdGOU9r

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any more questions on this!

Thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Nice Jake! Just what I needed. I am in the process of designing climbing walls for a client and really like the ease of sculpting the surfaces with fusion 360. 

Message 7 of 7
jakefowler

Great! Glad that helped, and very glad to hear that you're finding Fusion 360 productive. Sounds like a fun industry to be in - not sure I've seen any climbing walls created in Fusion before. So that draft angle is determined by how evil you're feeling? 😉

If you're interested, we just this week launched a Beta for an upcoming version of Fusion 360, which adds some new parametric capabilities while maintaining the flexibility of freeform modelling. You can find out more here (including download links) if you have an interest in participating.

Be sure to let us know if you have any further questions or feedback!

Thanks,
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report