Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

obj export?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cekuhnen
418 Views, 3 Replies

obj export?

Is there a way to also export add obj best including UV texture coordinates?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
deyop
in reply to: cekuhnen

We currently don't provide an OBJ export but it has been raised by others on the forum.  You may want to add your voice to this posting in the Idea Station.

Requests for OBJ export

I understand that for visualization OBJ is a must.  Presently the only polygonal output would be STL available by selecting the component node in the browser.

Message 3 of 4
colin.smith
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hi cekuhnen, 

May I ask why you need OBJ export?  Where are you taking the OBJ data to?

Thanks

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 4 of 4
cekuhnen
in reply to: colin.smith

Colin,

for two reasons:

1. Export via OBJ including the UV maps into a professional render environment or pipeline. You have two field those who only want to use Hypershot and those who want to have more control and user professional render programs like VRay etc which give them more control over light, scene and object design.

2. Exporting via OBJ best with NGONs allows an easy rebuild of surfaces in a poly modeler in case adjustments have to be made on a poly level for rendering or if the BREP geometry is only part of the design and it should be combined with a different only poly model.

Alternatively I can export via STEP and use MOI for perfect OBJ meshing.

In my case for two of my clients I do renderings for I often need to rebuild some of the mesh repair it and then UV map perfectly wood textures over the parts flowing the correct directions. So I partially can use the OBJ mesh I generate via MOI from Rhino models and partially I have to also rebuild parts to simplify them for render purpose.

The rebuild data however because it is made out of quad mesh can be send back to them and via T-Splines in Rhino they reconvert it into NURBS.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report