Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ngon obj import for t-splines?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cekuhnen
648 Views, 9 Replies

ngon obj import for t-splines?

Does T-Splines not support NGON OBJ imports? It seems to me it triangulates the mesh once converted to TS.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
deyop
in reply to: cekuhnen

When you insert an OBJ it can include NGONs of any number of sides.  We don't modify the NGONs to become triangles.  After you insert the OBJ file in with NGONs you can select it and use the Modify - Convert command to convert to a T-Spline.  If the inserted mesh has a high percentage of triangles you will get a warning that informs you the translation to T-Splines will result in a poor model.  Here is a video that shows the two OBJ imports, one with quads and the other with triangles.  If you are bringing in models developed in a subd modeler, import as an OBJ and then convert to turn into T-Splines.  Here is a video that should show how to convert and the difference when the mesh contains a high percentage of triangles.

Message 3 of 10
cekuhnen

I think I have to work in my English more.

The problem I mean is converting an OBJ mesh into T-Splines. While the OBJ mesh has NGONs T-Splines turns those into Triangles. I have to manually delete the extra edges and then get the shape in TS I would like to have.

It would be great in case it would be possible to just skip this manual adjustment by hand.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 10
deyop

Could you provide a small example file for us to test?

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
cekuhnen
in reply to: deyop

here is a demo file, it shows two problems I encounter with TS right now.

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/projects/ngon-and-edge-smoothing-issues

It was mentioned to me here at the AU that NGON OBJ files are currently not supported to be converted into TS objects with the NGON not being triangulated.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 10
deyop

Claas,

Unfortunatly that reference you created included no data.  If you can attach the actual OBJ I will test to make sure you can read and convert any polygon.  When we read the OBJ we create the exact number of sides for each polygon, 3, 4, 5, 6.  Any number.  When doing the conversion the NGONs are maintained and singularities or star points are created where needed. 

Your point about, "NGON OBJ files are currently not supported to be converted into TS objects with the NGON not being triangulated" is confusing me as there is no need to triangulate an NGON in order to convert to T-Spline.

Hope you are enjoying AU.

Message 7 of 10
cekuhnen

Hi there,

this looks like a bug in Fusion 360.

I just published the file I have in my account to the public hub. In deed there is no mesh.

I also noticed in my Fusion 360 the materials are missing and I can only see the wiremesh.

Here is the OBJ mesh alone.

AU was great good to meet everybody.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 10
deyop

OK.  With the example file it is much clearer what the issue is.  Thanks.  Give me a bit to review with development and I will get back with an answer.

Message 9 of 10
deyop

We think we have found the bug and will work to resolve it.  Thanks for hanging in there and providing the example.  By the way after proper conversion or hand editing you did the Star Point can be toggled to a T - Point in the Repair Body command.  Just mouse down on Star Point and it will change to T - Point.

Thanks again.

ToggleStar2T.png

Message 10 of 10
cekuhnen

Hi there,

I am glad I was able to help.

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report