Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imported stl file into Fusion 360, how to edit a specific portion

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dajola82
16415 Views, 16 Replies

imported stl file into Fusion 360, how to edit a specific portion

I imported an STL file into fusion 360 that I can select the entire file. I'm trying to modify a small section (one component). Do I need to convert the file back to a different form (T-spline) to edit. If so, how to do this? I try convert but it does not seem to work. I'm wondering if the file is locked somehow.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cekuhnen
in reply to: dajola82

can you post a screenshot?

Also STL is ok for sending to a 3D printer but I would not use STL to transfer mesh data to a CAD app.

Can you use OBJ or similar because this allows individual part remaining individual.

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 3 of 17
dajola82
in reply to: cekuhnen

Is there a program you recommend to convert a file from STL to OBJ?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 17
cekuhnen

One can use Meshlab, but best would be if from the host application you can already export as OBJ.

Is the original data surface/solid or a poly model?

Claas Kuhnen

Message 5 of 17
dajola82

Hi, thanks for your help. The original file was a download from thingiverse that I printed, and want to modify to make the print more robust. The only file I can obtain is the STL. I downloaded meshlab and can convert the file to OBJ, or other formats, however when I import into fusion 360, what do I have to do to begin to modify portions of the model. It just shows up as a solid model. Thanks.

Message 6 of 17
dajola82

Here is a screen shot of what I am trying to edit.

Message 7 of 17
cekuhnen

Thank you for the screenshot and source information.

The file is a single object STL file so you will not be able to easily adjust this,

In such a case you can use a polygon modeler to adjust the mesh as well if
you do not need a BRep model later.

If a Brep model is needed then you have no other choice than using the STL import as
a blueprint to build a new model.

If it is urgent and you do not have a poly modeler (Modo Blender Maya etc.) I can help you with this. Send me the file at info@ckbrd.de with dimensions and what you need to be changed.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 17
dajola82

Thank you for your assistance, you have been very helpful. My need is not urgent. I am a new user learning the software. The part I am trying to modify is for a planetary gear design that has weak points when printed on a Makerbot Replicator. For my own learning, I am planning on "beefing up" those weak points to improve the design. I think I am going to use the import as a blueprint and redesign the part.

I was also planning on working thru all the tutorials for Fusion 360. Any other recommendations for learning the software? I have an engineering background but have not worked directly with this software before.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 17
kevin.barr

Hello Mr. Kuhnen,

I am in a similar boat to the gentleman you were helping here. Is there any chance that you might be able to recommend a resource (or bibliography) to help me learn a bit more about how to identify the key elements that play a role in which software are useful in modifying models. My working knowledge is still rudimentary (no formal training). When I want to do something, it usually requires a fair bit of research to figure out how I am going to do it.

If I was a bit more familiar with some of the concepts (such as OMG Brep model and what constitutes a solid object) it would greatly accelerate my explain what I am trying to achieve so helpful folks like yourself can actually understand me when you can see my hands waving.

Humbly Yours,

Kevin

Message 10 of 17

How did you end up modifying the stl file from thingiverse in fusion 360?

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 17
jwright0074

I was wondering the same questions.  If i download a file from thingiverse.com into fusion 360, how does one modify the object and then print it.

Message 12 of 17

@cekuhnen Like everyone else, I'm attempting to download a set of STL files from Thingiverse, bring them into Autodesk Fusion 360 for some slight modifications only to find that this software simply refuses to work with in imported STL file in this way.  Autodesk does not allow this.

If one wishes to start over and laboriously recreate the part, as inspired by something on Thingiverse, it seems to do that.  But that to me sounds ridiculous.

I've just downloaded Meshlab and although it will import an STL file from Thingiverse and save it again, it still doesn't convert it into something that Autodesk Fusion 360 then sees as something it will allow you to work with.

My intent is to bring in the smaller C-shaped piece from here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1673030 and simply trim the top of that C.  That's it.  That's all that I need to do.  I've tried for about two hours now to try to convince Autodesk Fusion 360 to select this, as imported, for a Modify -> Combine function.  If I create a new body/component or whatever from scratch then it will let me but that's not the point.  I expect a software this expensive to be a tool which I can use.

Nobody on Thingiverse is uploading their drawing files, just their STLs.  Is this really the state-of-the-art? 

Message 13 of 17

That file is close to the max size that Fusion 360 can handle (49000 facets).  Perhaps it would be better to complain to Thingiverse about all of their users uploading STL files. Smiley Happy  It's quite well known that STL is a really lousy format for 3d models.

In any case, with a little patience, that file can be worked on in Fusion 360.

And it would be trivial to design natively in Fusion 360.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 14 of 17

Brilliant and thanks, btw.  I followed the video's intent and now see where Autodesk is hiding the "Mesh to BRep" feature, effectively, as an Easter Egg.  One must turn off a journaling feature for the menu item in question to appear.

I personally wouldn't call starting from scratch on this part to be trivial since I've been working with Autodesk Fusion 360 for no more than a week or two.  Note that there is an internal thread in this solid which must mate up with a screw that's elsewhere in the clamp.  I don't really enjoy several test prints of the 3D part for fit, given that each print will require around 8 hours.  (And all of this is just a helper part to hold down the raft for the actual project I'm building.)

Note also that my day involves getting up, going to work (8 hours), driving home (1 hour), dinner with the girlfriend (1/2 hour), and immediately followed by project time (not to exceed one hour or the girlfriend gets annoying).  That said, bringing an STL in for a quick chop and getting it started for an overnight print is a better fit for me than starting from scratch on a G-clamp part in Autodesk and spreading the work over the span of a week trying to get that work done.

Standing back from all this at the scope of the Internet and the entire world of open-source, we're all ants and we're each doing one small bit of work.  Collectively, the result of all that work is tremendous.  If I put on my marketing-guy hat for a moment and look at this, the most important feature of a tool like Autodesk Fusion 360 is:  to completely empower the would-be Thingiverse "incremental tweaker".  Granted, it would be awesome to re-educate those type of sites (regarding what they store/share) but that's not what we have now.  Most of us—I'd suggest—engineer parts as an after-hours hobby rather than our nine-to-five.

Message 15 of 17
matti.virta

i have same proplem, just learn fusion and try make somethink, i has use at work autocad many year, ower 10 year, but this is wery slowly,hard,mixed, and heavy program, not can do anything. i open STL files thinverse loaded, and need change some size or place at drawing but no can do anythink, how this one part can cut move and clue back new place ?

or simple box, how can change size or made new hole side ?

but important have stl file must do somethink but no can, select not working, and what must do cut parts ?

i think then have big proplem again how clue moved parts back to basic part, i no understand this program anythink. how select,change,bull out,move only one piece at one big parts. autocad has simple easy work but this is sure totally idiotism program.if want draw scuare need do many many different select and all not working right, and wery slowly program, i have good notebook and fast but this program no work fine, autocad,solidwork,many CAM and other program work fine. but this is,,,,,,.

can any help, how thingserve stl file can modified at fusion ? i need my 3D printer many new project but all stop this idiots program who not do anything how user want.

i try too sketchup modified parts and can easy,,,  it hard but can, but proplem has printer not make all layers what sketschup has made, or old layers what has before have deleted or changed and no show and no print layers. sketchup has **** no can do anything, all say fusion all has doing but i try made simple little sheet were have 2 hole, no can do, not select line and not draw ,cut,move,anuthink normal.

Message 16 of 17
HughesTooling
in reply to: matti.virta

Really if all you're going to do is work on meshes Fusion's not the right program. I don't work with meshes at all so can't suggest one. Complaining about Fusion's ability to work on meshes is like complaining a screwdriver's no good at banging nails in, you're using the wrong tool! If you want to reverse engineer a mesh to a Brep solid model that you can edit, Fusion has some tools but it's not one click and you have a lot to learn.

Here's a screencast I made a while ago to demonstrate using mesh sections to build an editable model in Fusion. Yes it's a lot of work so you either need a good reason to do it or you use a program that works with meshes directly.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 17

This screencast shows how to convert an STL into a Brep inside a Base Feature without disabling history. The advantage is you can import an STL into a design and you don't lose history for parts already in the design.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report