Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basic help - measurements

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
hbrendzel
799 Views, 10 Replies

basic help - measurements

I just downloaded fusion 460, so I know very little. 

Is there a way to change the size of a box AFTER it was created to have a particular (different) size  (a matter of changing a measurement); and is there a way to create a feature on the box (e.g., a shaft) that is anchored to a specified point on the box (a slightly different matter of measurement)?

hbrendzel

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jlrobisho
in reply to: hbrendzel

You can modify the size of the box in the model work space by going to modify, press pull then click on the face you want to extend or shorten.  

One way to create a shaft on certain point of the box would be to; select the face where you would like the shaft to start.  Then sketch a circle on the face and extrude the circle to the desired length.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Message 3 of 11
hbrendzel

Sorry.  I must not have been clear enough. 

I don't want to merely change the sixe of an existing box by a specified amount (which "pull) does, I believe) but, rather I want to change it TO a specified size.  In order to do that, I need to be able to know what the current size of the box is.  Is there a way to find that out?

Similarlty, I don't merely want to create a shaft (let's say a square one rather than a cylindrical)) but, rather, AT A SPECIFIED location relative to, for example, a particualr corner of the box.

Hope you can help.  Thanks,

hbrendzel

Message 4 of 11
NicolasXu

Hi hbrendzel,

Thanks for asking the questions. Re-anchoring during Press/Pull might be useful for the intent. Please refer to the video below for steps:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73595450/PressPull_ReAnchor.mp4

Hope you enjoy designing and collaborating in the cloud.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 11
karyeka
in reply to: NicolasXu

Nicolas' nice video also shows the Measure tool (Inspect->Measure). Also, while creating sketch for the shaft you can use sketch dimensions to precisely place your sketch items (Sketch->SketchDimension)

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 6 of 11
hbrendzel

Thank you, Nicholas, for the response.  The video was very useful.

Although, for some reason there was no sound, so I had to go slowely (i.e., stop, pause, go back, etc.).  If you know what caused that I would appreciate knowing.

Nevertheless, thank you very much.

hbrendzel

PS couln't figure out how to add a "kudo" to your response, but you certainly deserve one.

Message 7 of 11
NicolasXu

Glad to know it’s helpful, hbrendzel.

Sorry, I didn’t record sound as there were some noises in the background at that time. I should have mentioned it in the previous message.

BTW, here are some Tips & tricks to get familiar with the community.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Getting-Started-with-the/Getting-Started-Tips-amp-Tricks/ta-p/4633795

Please feel free to let us know if any questions or issues.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 11
laughingcreek

can't seem to get video to play

Message 9 of 11
waltondt

Is there a reason this wont work for me? I click to re anchor and it will show the distance, then when i type in a change it goes back to just added the amount that i typed in instead of changing to that

Message 10 of 11
NicolasXu
in reply to: waltondt

Hi waltondt,

The previous video is for Direct Modeling environment (history-free modeling). After clicking re-anchor, you have to specify a planar face to let Fusion know from where the measure starts.

Actually, in parametric modeling environment, in most of the cases, we can just change the distance by editing the existing feature. Can you try it out and provide more information (screenshot, video, etc.) if you still have questions?

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 11
laughingcreek
in reply to: waltondt

Waltondt-

I find the re-anchor function behaves in an odd fasion sometimes also.  I still think it should be considered a bug, but I'm not sure if Autodesk thinks so.  Here is a post showing one of my issues with the function

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketching-sculpting-modeling-and/re-anchor-in-parametric-mode/m-p/5480...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report