Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not copy and paste?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
deanlegg
933 Views, 15 Replies

Why not copy and paste?

I can,t work out why you cannot just click on a line , copy then move , rotate , mirror or paste to a new position ala Sketchup
Or am I missing something?
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Would you please try to select a line, choose Copy from context menu (or Ctrl/Cmd + C), and right click in canvas and select Paste (or Ctrl/Cmd + V)? This should help you to copy/paste the sketch line.

Thanks,

Macro Liu

Fusion QA Team

Message 3 of 16

Are you asking how to copy Fusion sketch entities and paste them into Google Sketchup?

Andy 

Message 4 of 16
deanlegg
in reply to: AndrewSears

No, I mean to copy and paste things the same way as SU, because it is so easy
Message 5 of 16
AndrewSears
in reply to: deanlegg

Thanks for clarifying.  Let's discuss copy/paste first.  Macro suggested to use the quick keys for copy/paste of sketch entities.  Are tehse not working for you?  If you think the commands are not workign correctly let's try to find out what is going on.  If using quick keys for copy/paste are too slow, can you give examples where or how we could speed this up or make it easier?  Screen shots and videos help.

About move/rotate.  I think we might have a bug here.  When I select "move" then the sketch entity, my availability to rotate goes away.  Are you seeing this behavior also?

Andy 

Message 6 of 16
deanlegg
in reply to: AndrewSears

Those commands are not in the context menu, using the key strokes I see repeat copy /paste but it doesn't seem to work
Message 7 of 16
Phil.E
in reply to: deanlegg

Hot keys or context menu, it should work. 

We are working on more hotkeys. Are there any others you like to use?

Thanks!

HP EliteBook 8560w Win 7
13" MacBook Pro, mid 2009 OS X 10.8.4
Portland, Oregon

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 16
Helmi74
in reply to: Phil.E

hmm maybe i'm wrong but this isn't about hot keys. What deanlegg states is that there is no copy/paste for sketching objects like lines and circles and i think he's right 🙂
---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
Message 9 of 16
Phil.E
in reply to: Helmi74

In the picture below, I've selected a sketch line and right clicked. Copy and Paste are available.

Or are we talking about a one button workflow? Where Paste is combined with Move?

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 3.57.04 PM.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 16
Helmi74

you are not in the sketch scope, are you? the was you are doing it you are copying the complete sketch not only the line inside the sketch.

copying the whole sketch isn't what I would want and I guess the same goes for the topic starter.
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 11 of 16
Phil.E

Well actually you don't need to edit a sketch to copy/paste sketch objects inside it. It's helpful, but not necessary. 🙂

In the picture you see sketch objects inside a sketch.

I'm a little concerned that you are not finding copy and paste as an option. 😞

There are a couple issues with the workflow it seems, so thanks for the heads up. The main one is that if you pick a profile (the yellow area inside a closed loop) and use copy + paste, a new sketch is made. This doesn't happen when you pick only sketch curves, the sketch objects paste into the same sketch. 

The good news is that window selection of the sketch curves/profiles will allow copy and paste inside the same sketch. Also just single selection of sketch curves.

Thanks again!

HP EliteBook 8560w Win 7
Portland, Oregon

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 4.30.59 PM.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 16
Helmi74

Hey Phil,

thanks for beeing so detailled and yes you're right - i completely didn't know that. My problem probably is that i'm not trying to dig so deep into every feature but just trying things out and if they don't work they way i'd expect them to work i assume they're not supposed to work 🙂

Maybe that makes me such a wanted software tester in my teams 🙂 Developers hate me kind off as i tend to find their ui glitches. 🙂

Well enough from me.. i played around with that now and i guess you're right that the main issue is the fact that selecting profiles (i always called them faces so far - still have to getting used to profiles) leads to the creation of a new sketch instead of having a copy/paste inside the same sketch whereas selecting the same profile using window selection works as you would expect. That's intransparent and complicated for the user. Also i then ask myself why the selection of one single profile of a whole sketch (that could contain let's say 100 profiles) and doing copy/paste afterwards should copy the whole sketch (which it does). That simpley makes no sense. I think copy/paste of whole objects (as in obect = representation in browser) should only be done via the browser. This would make things much clearer in this point. Selections with the mouse (either by clicking or dragging the selection window around) should always only allow operations on the selection. Everything else will always make you have a hard time understanding the workflow.

my 2 cents.

---
Frank / @helmi

Message 13 of 16
Phil.E

No, thank you. Your 2 cents is exactly what we need. I've logged some issues to address this and smooth out the workflow.

Exactly as you specify: copy the browser sketch and get the entire browser sketch as copy. Inside sketches, copy and paste as you like. The intent is to provide a move triad/dialog upon paste, just like pasting a body into the model. 

Thanks again.

HP EliteBook 8560w Win 7
Portland, Oregon

(Feel free to ask more questions, we're always glad to help. Otherwise, please mark this with Accept as Solution so that other users can benefit from it.)

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 16
Helmi74

Well today was this day when i really needed copying of sketch geometry and what should i say... it drives me crazy. I tried around and even though you've posted that here i had a hard time finding out when the whole sketch is copied and when it's only the one geometry i selected. that's weird.

Even more weird is that i was sure to find a way to move-copy a single geometry and i didn't. I think having a copy on move by pressing a modifier key is something that every user is used to from other 2D and 3D drawing tools.

My copy operation in sketchup as an example (not using sketchup anymore but used it for a long time) is to choose move tool by pressing the "M" key and while moving just toggling the copy or move functionality by short pressing the ALT key. That's it. It's about the same in Photohop, Illustrator and nearly every other tool i know. 

I thought there MUST be something in fusion but i can't find it - neither for BREP solids nor for sketch geometry. Tell me i just didn't find it, please 🙂

---
Frank / @helmi

Message 15 of 16
Phil.E

The results you want are available in a different workflow. With a few exceptions around Sketching. Although it sounds like you may be having other problems we need to look into.

If you use Copy and Paste for a body or component, the Move command will automatically start for the pasted body/component. It's a little different than you described but it's all automatic. And the hotkeys for copy+paste are universal 🙂

Give this a try:

Select a body from the browser

control+c, then control+v

Use the Move manipulator on the results.

This is what we want sketches to do when copying a whole sketch. Also we want sketch curves to do this inside a sketch as well for portions of a sketch. Will that/does that work for you?

Thanks again!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 16
Helmi74

basically this does work for objects of course - could not get this to work on sketches though.

Apart from that from a usability viewpoint i would still just think about this second option, too (coming from the move command and copying with a toggle-key).

I'll try to get more into the copy/pasting on sketches stuff to deliver more details about the headaches i have with that.
---
Frank / @helmi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report