Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats wrong with this mesh?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
big_red_frog
350 Views, 3 Replies

Whats wrong with this mesh?

Hi There,

Here is a small export of a large model that demonstrates my basic problem / frustration.

This visor object is only a mesh, but appears as a unclosed solid ( if I understand the icons correctly, where is the key? )

I can do very little with it, I want to be able to thicken it towards a nominal center point of the overall arc, to make it a solid object, that I can then slice out from another solid.

However, just about none of the commands anywhere will touch it.

What am I doing wrong?

How do I make this into a useful template for thickening or other operations?

Oh, and PLEASE fix the forum so it will take .f3d files, instead of complaining the contents dont match the file type, I dont understand how this can be intended to be a serious endevour when such basic issues get in the way. Users are normally frustrated when posting here in the first place, putting that extra annoyance in the way amplifies 😞

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
schneik-adsk
in reply to: big_red_frog

Im sorry you are having problems with attachments. I just tried to attach the same file to this post and it worked, so we need to discover why it is giving you problems. We do take this endeavor seriously and take help customers with all their problems as our most important opportunity.

What browser are you using? I was posting with Safari.

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 4
schneik-adsk
in reply to: big_red_frog

I am looking at the modeling challenges too. Can you describe a bit more what the overall objective is. What are you making and where are you getting these mesh files?

I ask as Fusion 360 can work with some mesh data but I think the tool you want to do this type of work are not here yet. We have a mesh import and modeling project that is planned to be in an update in the late fall.
Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 4
big_red_frog
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Thanks for the response,

With respect to the attaching of files to the forum, I am generally using Chrome, though I believe I saw the same with ie10, I will have to try that again, a few times, it simply rejects .f3d files as described, and zips are fine.

With respect to the mesh, it comes from an import of a file provided by one of your associates when helping me with getting a model into the toolset in the first place, from this thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Where-is-the-export-body-to-stl-command-in-th...

I am basically looking to thicken the mesh, so I can then use it as a combine, cut body to remove the faceplate from the overall solid model I now have.

I have been putting quite a few hours into this model, so I can attempt to 3D print it in sections, full size.

Mostly to learn the tools, rather than the end result.

I am getting there, but it just feels like 80 percent of my workflow are workarounds, rather than the tools helping me do what I am attempting.

I actually achieved this, but the workaround is scary.

I exported this mesh into .igs, then imported it into the inventor fusion beta. There it was happy to thicken with no complaints, though I had to play with it some, I got 95% of what I was after.

Then I exported as DWG and imported as a design back into fusion.

Then to get the "visor punch tool" into the main design, I had to open both designs and copy from one, paste into the other, I could not find how to load a existing design into the actively edited one as a subcomponent 😞

Then I could match the positioning and scaling through lots of use of joints, though why I cannot snap and scale to solid features I don't know.

Then I could combine / cut, and clean up the oddities.

It was however an exercise in detective work to discover workarounds.

I assume it is my lack of familiarity, but the more I delve, the more it feels like 80% of the features of fusion 360 are yet to exist / mature.

Last night I was ready to throw in the towel and pursue other packages.

However, as I had a great experience with the original 123D before it went all web 2.0, and then inventor fusion, I keep trying to convince myself to persevere.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report