Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the targeted calculation performance of SDS - TS modeling in Fusion 360?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cekuhnen
746 Views, 10 Replies

What is the targeted calculation performance of SDS - TS modeling in Fusion 360?

Hello there,

today I updated my Fusion 360 to see what got changed and improved.

The solid and patch modeler is pretty fast and snappy.

Object rotation in Sculpt is great as well, however I noticed that with a model I imported,

simple tasks like drawing a selection once something is already selected (face edge etc) becomes

extremely slow resulting into even stop motion screen refresh performance.

I have all display settings turn down to low settings to see if this might be graphic cards issue.

However as I mention screen rotation etc works fine.

But I noticed that once I drew a selection inside the Sculpt mode Fusion showed me a calculation bar on

the lower right corner. I assume that Fusion was trying to identify what faces/edges were inside the selection area

I created.

Similar modeling tasks are also slow. I tried using the display function (enable better performance) and flat shading.

But the performance did not significantly improve.

Is this a question of the code or the mashine I work on (iMac 2008 core two duo 3.06 GHz).

With the early versions of Fusion I experienced display render performance issues but that is the past

and it runs incredibly fast now.

Just modeling speed with T-Splines I feel is still a major concern in my opinion.

I understand that when you compare TS to Modo, Modo only deals and works as a normal SDS poly modeler

and TS needs to perform more calculations. And in a previous discussion I think it was mentioned that this might

be a result of how TS operates and the advantages it provides.

For example with TS the incredible advantage is for me as a product designer simply the ability to have a surface curvature graph on a poly model.

Maybe would it be possible to enable a more pure SDS poly modeler like Modo/Maya/Blender in Fusion.

And similar to like how you convert a TS module to Patches convert the SDS into TS or add/turn on the TS option.

Here is TS model I used to test Fusion in case you would like to see for yourself.

https://ue29c9f1e.autodesk360.com/xdio/permalink/XDbb9afQT2de37669adae5d226ea9d68edc0e9dec69d7de995f...

I am curious if maybe this file performs differently for somebody else.

Thank you,

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
AndrewSears
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hi Claas,

Are you comfortable adding me to your group?  This will give me access to the file you are having performance issues with.

If you don't want to add me to your group, please export and email the file to andrew.sears@autodesk.com.  I can send you a FTP link if the file is large.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 3 of 11
cekuhnen
in reply to: AndrewSears

Hi Andrew,

I think I send you an invite to a group and moved the file to that group!

Looking forward to your findings.

Best,

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 11
AndrewSears

Hi Claas,

Got into your group!  I will start looking at the model.

Let's keep using this thread so others can benifit from this.  Are you ok with me sharing screen shots of your design?  

Andy 

Message 5 of 11
AndrewSears

Claas,

I notice some performance problems (slight pausing, not responding, etc.) but not to the degree you mention.  We have a dedicated group of people that handle Fusion performance issues.  Would it be ok for me to export the file from the test group you set up and send it to our performance group for testing?

Also, can you supply some information about the computer you are using?  (GPU, OS ,RAM, etc.)  Do you use multiple monitors and a 3D motion controller?

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 6 of 11
deyop

You're right, selection performance of T-Splines needs to be improved.  We are working on some solutions now but with the latest release here are some ideas that will help improve selection performance.

In Preferences - Graphics change the "Selection display style" to Simple.  In Normal mode there is a halo around the selection which can be useful when determining the selection but adds a lot of overhead.  We made a change that if there are more than 200 elements selected it will default to Simple display mode in this latest release.

Utilize the selection filters either from the Select dropdown  on the toolbar when pre-selecting or from the selection filter in the Edit Form command.  When box (or  freeform) selecting the command is selecting faces and edges within the boundary.  If you want just edges or faces selecting the filter appropriately will speed up selection.  We are investigating a behavior if a box select has more than X number of faces selected it will default to a only selecting faces.

The Enable Better Performance/Enable Better Display only significantly improves display speed if there are a lot of star points.  It is expensive performance-wise to draw the display around the star point.  Toggling Better Performance will reduce the smooth detail and make view rotation and modeling faster.

We are working on some other performance improvements for the next release which include reducing the Level of Detail.  LOD determines how many polygons get drawn to the screen.  Reducing the LOD can help improve display performance.   We are trying to find the right balance between smooth display and speed.  We are also planning on storing the polygons so that opening the file will be faster as well.

Thanks for your comments.  We will continue to work towards a better experience.

Thanks

DisplayStyle.png

Message 7 of 11
cekuhnen
in reply to: deyop

Hello Andrew and Deyop

The two computers I am testing Fusion with are:

iMac 2008

GT 8800

4 GB RAM

OS X

MacPro

GTX 570

12 GB RAM

Win 7

The performance between the two computers is actually nearly the same.

I noticed that screen refresh rate but also moving faces in Sculpt mode can be faster

when

under "Effect" everything is turned off

under "Preferences" Simple is used for the display style.

With those settings I only experience the usal caculation lag of making a selection and when translating

geometry the tool lag is minimal.

However - not trying to be picky here - but specifically in a system where you sculpt fluidly the screenupdate should

at best be instant. Specifically if I move the mouse fast the lag is a lot more noticable.

Maybe I am spoiled by how fast programs like Modo Maya in a pure polygon modeler work and I understand that with T-Splines there

is a complete additional layer and calculation overhead added to that.

So I hope I am not coming across being negative - just trying to provide some objective impression from my side.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 11
AndrewSears

Thanks for the info Claas!

Your comments and concerns are not coming across as negative.  Internally, we are more critical about the software than you.

Keep the great feedback coming!!!!

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 9 of 11
cekuhnen

I am glad that you understand - I really think Fusion is a fantastic idea while being a quite heavy challenge to balance sculpting surfacing and engineering in one package.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 11
msederberg

Hi Claas,

This thread was pointed out to me; I just wanted to say that it's good to see you over here! And thanks for drawing attention to performance. As Paul mentions, there's still a number of areas we can improve on that, and we're working on it.

I just wanted to add, as one comparison point, we expect T-Splines performance in Fusion 360 to be in fact better than T-Splines in Rhino because we have more control over how everything is drawn. The program (and any lags) shouldn't get in the way of your creativity. Your comments, especially with your background, are really helpful. Keep them coming.

Thanks again for engaging here,

Matt Sederberg

Message 11 of 11
cekuhnen
in reply to: msederberg

Hello Matt,

I hope you had a good vacation. In my last test run I was evaluating to see how I could utilize Fusion as a fast modeler with my students. Knowing their lack of patience the lag experience would actually harm Fusion 360's impact on them at the moment.

I assumed that because Fusion 360 just hit the market that those lag issues are the usual early product problems that can with

time smoothed out. Specificallly your comment about having a better ability to integrate TS with Fusion and the display driver technology makes me happy.

Best,

Claas

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report