Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble on the Pattern on Path

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
TheCADWhisperer
668 Views, 4 Replies

Trouble on the Pattern on Path

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Help-and-Support/Help-missing-from-dialog-box/td-p/5055416

In the attached file edit the Pattern feature.

I have fooled with this for some time - and either I have not figured out the logic, or the tool is not working as I would expect it to work.  What am I missing?

Well, after more experimenting it appears that the results are very sensitive to the Start Point - most reliable (or should I say, expected) results occurs if the Start Point is as close to the pattern seed feature as I can get it.  But how to lock it exactly? How to get logical, reproducible results in a classroom environment? (or any environment for that matter)

Path Start Point.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Edit the Pattern Feature on this part and examine the Preview.

Preview does not match the results.

I realize I should have created the sketch and the extrude before the split, but is there a way to pattern two bodies as in the preview?

Pattern a Split Part.PNG

Message 3 of 5

Thank you very much for sharing your findings as well as the dataset with us! We're able to identify the problem and now our development team is working on it.

Best Regards,

Macro Liu (Fusion 360 QA)

Message 4 of 5

For reference - attached is an example that worked in previous release of Fusion, but if the seed extrusion (Extrusion 3) is edited (no changes, simply right mouse button, Edit and then OK) the Pattern then changes behavior.

Oops, I attached wrong file - back in a minute.

OK, hopefully this is the correct file.

Message 5 of 5

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Help-and-Support/Help-missing-from-dialog-box/td-p/5055416

Well, after more experimenting it appears that the results are very sensitive to the Start Point - most reliable (or should I say, expected) results occurs if the Start Point is as close to the pattern seed feature as I can get it.  But how to lock it exactly? How to get logical, reproducible results in a classroom environment? (or any environment for that matter)

After a good night's sleep - it was clear to me in the morning.

First of all, I was simply trying to follow the Tutorial video and reproduce the geometry the same way as shown in the video.  But as I had trouble reproducing - I began an exercise in experimentation.

Now I realize what should have been in the video to ensure reproducable success for all who try to follow the Tutorial.

Instead of using the edge of the part (which is some distance from, and unconnected to the seed feature) as the Path, I instead added an offset sketch in the slot sketch with coincident constraint to the center of the slot sketch.  Now the Path Start Point is the center of the slot.

Reliable Path.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report