Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitioning files from Beta

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
tdtwohy
757 Views, 17 Replies

Transitioning files from Beta

Well, I upgraded... and i'm looking at emptyness.

is there any way of getting my files from the old (I saved some... but would love to have access to the old junk)... any hope?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
keqingsong
in reply to: tdtwohy

Hey Tom, 

Here is the thread that will guide you through how to get your beta designs from the new official release. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/How-to-uninstall-beta-and-export-designs-whil...

Go down to where it says "Can I still get my beta designs if I forgot to export them and installed the release version? "

Let me know if this is helpful. Thanks!

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 18
tdtwohy
in reply to: keqingsong

I followed the instuctions carefully, placed the old Beta data in the Fusion360 folder, and cannot find any data in the "beta" folder that was placed... had a hard time finding the enclosing folder too.

Incidentally...

None of my old pre web Fusion/Forge files work... they "import" but ultimatly crash the program.

What a mess.

Message 4 of 18
keqingsong

Can you provide us some screenshots so we can troubleshoot where the problem is occuring?

Once the program as exported all your beta designs locally, you shouldn't have to manually place the exported folder into the Fusion 360 folder. 

Importing the beta designs should be done from the dashboard.

Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 3.09.23 PM.png

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 5 of 18
tdtwohy

Its not about importing files, I can do that (I have two very important files I downloaded days ago... they are fine... back in your hands).

But the Beta "rescue" as you discribed failed to retieve my less important beta files... you either still have them, or have erased them. 

The process put no files on my Local drive... and I waited to be sure the process didn't need correction (as is often the case with Bete ware).

So where are my files?

Message 6 of 18
czyzczyz

So after importing a design, how does one open it in the Fusion 360 editing interface? I see no way to get into the editor apart from the 'Create' button under 'New Data'.

I'm kinda wondering if maybe this feature only shows up after choosing to view the Preview, which isn't working for me (see comment near the bottom of this thread: http://feedback.autodesk.com/cloudservices/topics/3d_webgl_doesnt_work_for_me_houston_we_have_a_prob... )

Thanks for any help or info.

Screenshot_6_29_13_11_17_AM.jpg

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 18
schneik-adsk
in reply to: czyzczyz

Yes, you found a hole we are fixing...

Please upload the design again using the import tab in the "New data" tile. I think you might have used file from the quick post tile?

Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 18
keqingsong

Once you've imported a file, it'll show up in your recent data tile. To edit data, either click on the thumbnail of the file or click on details. After the details of the file loads, click on the edit button to begin editing the imported file in a new tab which will be design space. Does this help?

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 9 of 18
tdtwohy

Ok... you entirely missed the point, Keqing... I was having trouble with AutoDesk EXPORTING the Beta files from your site. 

But it doesn't matter, the Beta download finally worked... today. (Tried two or three times)

I still say this was a poor way to move my files. Why should I need to move the files YOU PEOPLE are responsible for? It wan't my idea to put this excellent software on the cloud where it causes problems... the company chose that. 

AutoDesk wanted to take over... yet AutoDesk treats my files like leftover junk.

You should look into building this function into the installer, or even disconnecting our files from the revisions and let us access them freely through some kind of I.D. verified server.

Message 10 of 18
keqingsong

@tdtwohy wrote:

Ok... you entirely missed the point, Keqing... I was having trouble with AutoDesk EXPORTING the Beta files from your site. 

But it doesn't matter, the Beta download finally worked... today. (Tried two or three times)

I still say this was a poor way to move my files. Why should I need to move the files YOU PEOPLE are responsible for? It wan't my idea to put this excellent software on the cloud where it causes problems... the company chose that. 

AutoDesk wanted to take over... yet AutoDesk treats my files like leftover junk.

You should look into building this function into the installer, or even disconnecting our files from the revisions and let us access them freely through some kind of I.D. verified server.

Thanks for the feedback Tom, and I understand you are talking about exporting files. My response above was geared towards what @czyzczyz was asking. It is definitely not our intentions to treat your files like junk, and we do whatever we can to make sure you can get your files, beta or official versions. 

We've sent reminder emails and posted to the forums not long ago regarding the exporting beta designs before our users transition to the official product release. We are also working on improving the dashboard experience overall and how you can better manage designs. 

Keqing Song
Portland, Oregon, USA

Message 11 of 18
czyzczyz
in reply to: schneik-adsk

I run into the same problem when I upload using the "new data > import" tab. I can't edit the file that's apparently successfully updated because Fusion 360 is using WebKit to preview files rather than embedded Chrome, even though I have the latest Chrome installed. As far as I can tell, the edit button will only show up if one can actually preview the uploaded file.

I wrote a more extended comment on this problem, including regression info, as 'zachnfine' on this thread:

http://feedback.autodesk.com/cloudservices/topics/3d_webgl_doesnt_work_for_me_houston_we_have_a_prob...

I'd guess not every mac user has run into this problem or else there'd be a ton of complainants wondering if their 2-month free preview of Fusion will pass without allowing them to edit an uploaded object. I wonder if there's something specifically off with my config?

Message 12 of 18
czyzczyz

Aha, got it working. Maybe because I enabled webgl in Safari? In any case, I get a working 'edit' button.

Now if I can only figure out why one f3d upload works (v18 of a model), and a revision I'd made to the same f3d file made in Inventor Fusion beta minutes later (v19) doesn't work at all, comes up with a blank preview. I'll probably have to figure out what I'd changed and make the same change in Fusion 360.

Message 13 of 18
philip.s

Thanks for sharing Zach! Are you able to either export and post the design (v19) here, or invite me (philip.schmelzer(at)autodesk.com) to the group where it's stored?  

Message 14 of 18
czyzczyz
in reply to: philip.s

Here are the files I'd created using Inventor Fusion Beta -- v2.18 opens in Fusion 360, v2.19 does not.

Message 15 of 18
philip.s

Much appreciated and I am also running into the same problem. Did you export the designs from the Beta software prior to making the switch to the production / new release? If so, can you please try re-importing the design data from within Fusion 360 as indicated here. Specifically:

1. Go to the 3 bar menu and choose Other, then choose Export Beta Content.

FUSION 360 EXPORT BETA CONTENT.png

2. Enter your beta site name, click next.

FUSION 360 EXPORT BETA CONTENT 2.png

3. Data will save in a "BetaDesigns" folder.

Message 16 of 18
czyzczyz
in reply to: philip.s

I made the files with Inventor Fusion beta, downloaded from the Mac App store. I'm not sure these instructions for exporting beta files relate to me, as I'm stumped by the "Please enter your site name". I have a "site name"? I was just running Inventor Fusion like any other app, and saved files locally. I don't know what a "Site Name" is.

Message 17 of 18
schneik-adsk

if you were using Inventor Fusion from Mac App Store that is different that Fusion 360.
To use your files, open Fusion 360. Along the top click the import tab, then browse to your older files and import them.
Kevin Schneider
Message 18 of 18
czyzczyz
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Yep, I've done that to no avail. The problem is that v18 of my file imports just fine and is editable. v19 imports and shows up as a blank square and is not editable. There's something about that v19 file (posted above) that the new Fusion 360 refuses to parse. I can try importing again but I don't see why I'd expect a different result.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report