Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch - making two ends meet (but how?)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
lure23
571 Views, 5 Replies

Sketch - making two ends meet (but how?)

Trying to make the end of a line, and the middle of a circle to meet.

Video: Does not get easier than this

What I'm trying:

- just make them snap (move one dot on top of another). Nope.

- select both dots, enable 'constraints' mode and pick 'coincident' constraint

Selecting the 'constraints' mode clears the line end selection, and doesn't allow it to be reselected. Why?

If I first creat the circles and then draw a line between them, I'm pretty sure the points get fixed. But I want to learn *all* the workflows. This should be easy, obvious and a no-brainer. It's remarkable that most problems I face with Fusion 360 are in this category (i.e. no real problems, but of the user interface).

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Macro.Liu_Autodesk
in reply to: lure23

Thanks for reaching out.

I tried the same thing in the latest version (1.8.604) and could successfully snap one end point to another by either of two ways below:

1. Drag one end and move to the second end, and when they touch each other, there'll be a 'GREEN' circle. Release the mouse will snap the two ends together. Or,

2. Select both ends and invoke Constraints (Coincident).

You can refer to the attached video for details. Please feel free to let us know if you have any question.

Thanks Again!

Macro Liu

Fusion 360 QA

Message 3 of 6
lure23
in reply to: Macro.Liu_Autodesk

A very good video, thanks.

I am now able to do it exactly as you show. Maybe at the time I had the problem I was (unknowingly) working with two separate (overlapping) sketches. The current UI makes it a bit too easy to do this (i.e. create a line in another sketch instead of the current one).

I noticed that had happened only later, and copy-pasted the added elements back to the right sketch. I don't actually want Fusion 360 to *ever* create sketches implicitly (but cannot turn that off).

As a side note: SWF video files are not automatically recognized by Finder on OS X. The trick is to drag them to Safari.

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 4 of 6
Macro.Liu_Autodesk
in reply to: lure23

You got it! Glad to hear thatSmiley Happy.

About SWF video, I did exactly the same thing as you mentioned on OS X. 🙂

BTW, would you please mark it as "Accept as Solution" so that others can benefit from this post.

Have a nice day!

Macro Liu

Fusion 360 QA

Message 5 of 6

Interesting problem and reply. I cannot get this to work. I have tried for months and "coincident" does not behave as expected. It seems impossible to make two sketch entities snap together. Why?

Message 6 of 6
jjurban55
in reply to: jasonharrelson

Hi Jason, the most straight forward way to help would be to share a model that's giving you trouble with coincident constraint and let others offer suggestions.

Jesse

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report