Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL Import Conversion

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
Nicolinux
49022 Views, 38 Replies

STL Import Conversion

I just found out that you can drag & drop files on the project window (doh... this is not very intuitive). However I can't edit the object because conversion seems to take forever. Is this supposed to take >1hr or is there something wrong with my file?

Or is there any other format that I could add to Fusion 360 and start editing right away? All I have is the source .STL file (for now).

http://about.me/nicolinux
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
rishivadher
in reply to: Nicolinux

Hi I think that fusion cannot open stl I have some stl files that have more than 500 faces, and that can be a lot to compute

Message 3 of 39
jessica.t

Hi Sorin,

Hang tight while we further investigate your question. I will have a developer take a look tomorrow.

We appreciate your patience!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 4 of 39
jeff_strater
in reply to: jessica.t

Fusion does not support STL import.  Currently Fusion only supports import of BRep-type geometry (STEP, IGES, etc).  This is because Fusion can only edit this type of geometry (it is not yet a mesh editor).

If you don't mind my asking, what were you planning to do with the STL geometry in Fusion?

Thanks,

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 39
Nicolinux

Ok, good to know. Because the interface lets me drag & drop a .STL file and when I try to edit it, it tells me that the conversion service isn't ready. You should change this message so the users know that .STL is not supported.

I would like to be able to edit objects downloaded from Thingiverse or Shapeways. Right now I have not found a converter for .STL to a format the Fusion 360 understands.

Do you have a complete list with the supported formats. I am still very new to CAD and I am not sure which formats are ment by "BRep-type geometry".

Thanks.

Message 6 of 39
bob_holland

Nicolinux,

I would suggest that you try using the SAT or IGES file types.
Please try these and then accept this as a solution if it does resolve your import issue.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 7 of 39
Nicolinux

Ok, it seems that this is not possible right now. The closest thing I have found was brl-cad. But its iges conversion doesn't work on my mac.

Here is the link:

http://stuffthingsandjunk.blogspot.de/2009/12/stl-to-igs-iges-conversion.html

Message 8 of 39
dipirrom
in reply to: jeff_strater

I would like to second the request for STL importing.  I am a 3D print enthusiast and .stl is the standard format for printing.  I understand that conversion to an editable model might not be possible, but even if you could import as a reference solid for modeling would be great.

I really like Fusion360 so far.  Much better performance and usability over 123d and Inventor Fusion.

Mike

Message 9 of 39
Nicolinux
in reply to: dipirrom

UPDATE:

I was able to convert a mesh into a solid with the tool CAD Exchanger. However the exported STEP file isn't recognized by Fusion 360 either. But that's understandable. The solid has way too many faces and makes the formerly simple object very complex. Ther is a free technology preview for Autodesk Inventor called Mesh Enabler. This does basically the same as CAD Exchanger. Although I was able to convert the mesh into a solid, Inventor crashes (or takes forever) when exporting to STEP.

But as I said - I am too much of a newbie to really understand what's going on and how to fix it. There is a tool in Inventor called Simplify but I didn't find/use it.

This is the reference .STL I used (more or less randomly picked from Thingiverse because of the complicated geometry/curves and small file size):

CAD Exchanger:

Autodesk Inventor Mesh Enabler:

Message 10 of 39
Nicolinux

Forgot to mention. It may be also possible to convert .stl files using FreeCAD. Check the updated Python script for FreeCAD here:

Message 11 of 39
fxmech

I would love to see STL import added as a feature.

I work with meshes often which are 3D scans of physical objects and are given to me as stl files.

The designs created in Fusion would be integrated into the meshes meaning cavities get booleaned out to accommodate components made in fusion.

The ultimate goal is to regrow (3d print) the parts with the incorporated modifications.

I was surprised that even 123D is capable of taking stl files but fusion 360 which I heard is 123D's much bigger brother cannot.

123D only allows me to see the file not edit it, but even that is a huge benefit because I can design around the mesh features.

Hope you guys reconsider adding it in.  Its a big determining factor for me... 

www.legacyefx.com
Message 12 of 39
DonHanson
in reply to: fxmech

Add my vote for supporting .stl file import.  

It's clearly the format of choice for the 3D Maker community, so I'm wondering what the rational for _not_ supporting it was?

The first 3D modeling app that supports it well, (Inventor Fusion?) will own the 3D Maker community!

Regards,

Don

Message 13 of 39
jakefowler
in reply to: DonHanson

Hi Don,

Welcome to the Fusion 360 community!

Glad to let you know that STL import is now supported 🙂 You can upload an STL model using the 'Upload' button on the dashboard, or by starting a design and using the Insert Mesh tool (from the Insert/Mesh submenu in the Modify menu - for a parametric design, you'll need use Create Form to start a form, and place the STL mesh here).

Out of interest, what are the kinds of things you'd like to do once you've imported an STL? Some examples of things you can do at the moment:

• Scale/rotate/translate the geometry, and send it for 3D printing, or use it as a reference in your design
  • Use the T-Splines Object Snap tools to create T-Splines geometry based on the mesh (we have some videos on YouTube that give a good introduction to this workflow, such as here and here)
  • Convert the mesh to a solid body using the Mesh to BRep tool (at the moment this will give you a body with many faces, but we hope to optimize this in future)

We're definitely working to build Fusion 360 into a strong tool for the maker community, and we're currently putting efforts into improving our mesh modelling capabilities. It would be great to hear the kinds of tools & workflows you'd like to see here.

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 14 of 39
briankb
in reply to: jakefowler

In my case, this past weekend, I was trying to modify an already great design that I found on Thingiverse for a 3d printer extruder cooling fan duct design

thingiverse-32605-40mm-extruder-cooling-fan-thumbnail.png

I wanted to remove the slit that is running down the middle and heal any remaining geometry in that area so it creates a smooth plane. 

Those mounting wings for my install were not needed so I wanted to remove those and heal any effected geometry as well.

In regards to 3D Printing, and I am only beginning to understand the need for this, but the ability to fix and correct the STL files. Like you do with the 3D Printer Utility or something like NetFabb. 

Message 15 of 39
jakefowler
in reply to: briankb

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for this - this is exactly the kind of feedback we’re after.

We already have a free tool available, Meshmixer, which can achieve this kind of edit & repair work:

2014-04-02_2022.png

We’re currently thinking about how best to incorporate some similar functionality into Fusion 360. Another thing we’re looking into is how such a model could be converted into a high-quality solid body, which would allow for even more flexibility to make design changes.

Meshmixer also has a great environment for preparing models for 3D printing, and we’re working on building a direct connection between Fusion 360 and Meshmixer to send models for 3D printing.

Paul, our UX Designer for this area, has actually set up a discussion group on this topic, where he’s collecting feedback from the community about what areas of mesh modelling support you'd most like to see. Would be great if you can post your thoughts & ideas here!

Many thanks,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 16 of 39
DonHanson
in reply to: jakefowler

The main thing I typically want to do with stl file is scale them in some way.

I uploaded an stl file and open it as a project but am having difficulty scaling it in any way.  Whenever I select modify, "Meshbody1" is unselected.  

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Message 17 of 39
basscranker
in reply to: jeff_strater

I need this function and that is why I was considering Fusion. I am on the trial now and I like what I see. I have designed previously in Hexagon 2.5 and have prepared many models in stl. I would so love to be able to bring them into fusion and modify them as there are so many more features here. PLEASE CONSIDER THIS!!!!! email me when this is available!

Message 18 of 39
deyop
in reply to: basscranker

Scaling meshes isn't supported in the Design History or Parametric workflow.  You can turn this off by selecting the context menu of the base feature or using the options at the far right of the timeline.  You can also make this the default for when you create new files by changing the default in your preferences.

DoNotCaptureDesignHistory2.jpg

DoNotCaptureDesignHistory.jpg

You could also create a Base Feature from the Create dropdown which will allow you to scale the mesh in the Base Feature.

Once you are working in a direct modeling mode you can select and scale the mesh.

I hope this helps but I am wondering what kind of modifications you want to do with the STL?  Let us know if this works or if you still have questions.

Thanks

scaleSTL.png

Message 19 of 39
basscranker
in reply to: deyop

The purpose for working on this is to make changes or using them as base models that can become new models w/ variations in design. For instance: something longer, wider, fatter, thinner, w/ a hole etc. I think for this it would be nice to be able to convert it into a water-tight solid model with actual surfaces rather than mesh. Perhaps become an igis file or something similar and usable.

Message 20 of 39
deyop
in reply to: basscranker

Those are certainly capabilities we are expecting to deliver with the mesh workspace.  You might want to check out this posting and add your comments about workflows you would like supported.  Thanks for the input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report