Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP File is Read Protected?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Dagodevas
1088 Views, 13 Replies

STEP File is Read Protected?

I exported a STEP file of my model and sent it to someone else to take a look at.  They said they can't open it and that they get a message that says the file is read protected.  Is it a conversion issue or is this a limitation since I am currently using the trial version of Fusion 360?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
SallyYang
in reply to: Dagodevas

Thanks for posting the issue to us.

As I know, we don't have limitation for the trail versions, so you should be able to share your file freely.

If your Friend also use Fusion 360 as designing program, you can share the file to him with simply 2 steps:

1. Create a shared project

Project Share.png

2. Move your file to that project

Move to Project.png

Then your friend will got all the designs that shared from you very quickly.

If your friend use other software, please let us known the version of it and we will try to find a solution.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 14
bespenship

The only thing I can think of off of the top of my head is that they might be using an application which only supports older versions of the STEP file format.  I'm getting more information on the file versions our translation outputs by default.  Can you send me a STEP file you're having issues with?  I'll try opening it in a couple of applications on my end that read STEP data.  Also, it would be helpful to know what application they are using to import the data.

Brent Espenship
Fusion 360 Quality
Macbook Pro retina - MacOS X 10.11.5 (main)
WIndows 7 Notebook
Message 4 of 14
Dagodevas
in reply to: bespenship

They are using "Wildfire Pro Engineer 5.0".  I have attached the STEP export.

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 14
SallyYang

Thanks for sharing the problematic file here, it's helpful to address the issue.

Currently, we don't have "Wildfire Pro Engineer 5.0" for verification, so we try to open it with "Creo Parametric 2.0", and it could be opened successfully.

I have also reported this issue to our translator team, hope to get some further information soon.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 14
AustinLiu

Hi,

Thanks for providing the feedback and the file.

I tried the STEP you attached on this thread with Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 M020 on a Win7 X64 OS, but cannot reproduce the issue; the STEP file can be openned successfully. Sorry to say I have never experienced such a failure "read protected"...

Do you think the issue might be related to some access problem? like a read-only file, or a protected folder/directory?

or, may you please ask him/her to check the Pro/ENGINEER import options when read the STEP file?

Thanks,

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 14
RogerMollon
in reply to: AustinLiu

There's also the possibility that their anti-virus software is "read protecting" the file.

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 8 of 14
Dagodevas

I have forwarded your thoughts to them.  They have also said that when they try to open it, their computers lock up.  I will let you know anything else they tell me about the issue.

Message 9 of 14
Dagodevas

I guess they were able to open it at some point, but the model had missing surfaces.  Any idea?

Message 10 of 14
AustinLiu

I read the STEP files with other CAD applications but it's correct; only Pro/ENGINEER reports this error.

Do you mind sharing the Fusion file to us? Only with the STEP file we cannot dig more into the problem.

Thanks,

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 14
Dagodevas

Here is the F360 archive of the model.  Thanks so much for working on this problem with me.

Message 12 of 14
AustinLiu

Thanks for sharing the file.

We will investigate and update soon. At the same time may you please try to use IGES instead? I got a clean IGES from Fusion 360 and Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire can open it successfully.

Thanks for your patience,

-Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 14
Dagodevas

Thank you.  They were able to open the IGES.  So I'll just use that with them for now.

Message 14 of 14
bespenship

Thank you for closing the loop with us, and Austin for your help - much appreciated.  I'm a dog guy - I should bug you sometime on advice for canine equipment 🙂 .

Brent Espenship
Fusion 360 Quality
Macbook Pro retina - MacOS X 10.11.5 (main)
WIndows 7 Notebook

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report