Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch - how to create face from edges / vertices?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
thburn
22115 Views, 5 Replies

Patch - how to create face from edges / vertices?

Hi,

I am in patch mode.

Two questions:

1. I want to create a flat face between the selected edges. How can I do that?

2. Is there any way to create a face between 4 selected vertices? - How?

F8.jpg

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jakefowler
in reply to: thburn

Hi,

Great questions! Hope these suggestions help:

1. Probably the best way to do this is using the Loft tool from the Patch workspace. Selecting one of these edges, followed by the other edge, should give you the surface you are after. If this doesn’t, let us know

2. There’s currently no way to create a face/surface like this based only from points. I’m guessing what you’re after is a 4-sided face which has straight edges connecting those 4 vertices? The easiest way to do this is probably to build some sketch lines connecting those points, then build a Patch or Loft surface based on those lines.

1. In the application (3-bar) menu, open the Preferences, and then in the General > Fusion 360 subcategory, ensure ‘Allow 3D sketching of lines and splines’ is enabled.
  2. Click Create Sketch, pick a plane (it doesn’t matter which one), and start the Line tool. Your cursor should snap to the vertices in 3D space, so you can easily draw straight lines connecting them.
  3. Once you have a closed 4-edge loop, you should be able to create a surface based on this with the Patch or Loft tools from the Patch workspace.

Does this seem like a feasible workflow? If not, the next thing we might need to do is to get some more detail about your input geometry & the result you are trying to achieve. If it’s possible to share the context for this workflow, that would be very interesting as well.

Many thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 3 of 6
thburn
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake,

this is exactly what I needed. I also tried the loft tool by myself but could not get it working since all edges where selected as once.

This was because 'Enable chaining' was (is) enabled by default. If I disable it then I can choose two edges and use the loft tool to create the flat face that I needed.

Also the 2nd way you posted was very interesting to me and also this works and gives the same result.

Thanks a lot!

Message 4 of 6
dabra015
in reply to: jakefowler

How is that setting not on by default?!? The tens of hours I've wasted throughout the years from not being able to interact with points that aren't in the current sketch!! You're a life saver
Message 5 of 6
laughingcreek
in reply to: dabra015

@dabra015 - the setting has been available from the sketch palate for a long time now.  there's no difference between selecting there vs in the settings-

laughingcreek_0-1710213453007.png

Message 6 of 6
dabra015
in reply to: laughingcreek

I guess I just haven't tested out all the features yet xD. I never noticed that one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report