Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter Names for the hole to edge dimension changes with value

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mcnurlin
675 Views, 8 Replies

Parameter Names for the hole to edge dimension changes with value

When I create a hole and have a dimension from the hole to an edge and then try to use that dimension in an equation the parameter name changes for the dimension and the equation fails.

For instance I create a hole the parameter names for Refdim1 and Refdim2 are d30 and d31 the values are .375 and .250. If I use those values in an equation like d10-(d30*2) and d1hole equation issue.PNG1-(d31*2). If I go back and change the value of Refdim1 and Refdim2 then the parameter name will change to something like d32 and d33. The equation will still be using the old parameter name and not update.

This pretty much defeats the purpose of using equations to maintain design intent.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AndrewSears
in reply to: mcnurlin

Hi Randy,

Thanks for letting us know about this.  We will investigate and get back to you.

Andy

Message 3 of 9
AndrewSears
in reply to: AndrewSears

Randy,

Can you add the file to this thread or email it to me at andrew.sears@autodesk.com?

I want to see more of your workflow to get to this state with the file.

Thanks,

Andy  

Message 4 of 9
mcnurlin
in reply to: AndrewSears

Andrew, attached is the file I was experimenting with. The four holes are a pattern. The idea of the equation is to have the holes stay the same distance from the edge no matter what size the cover dimensions change to. And that works fine until....one or both of the dimensions from the hole to the edge is changed.

On another note. I came to Fusion360 from the Cam360 beta. I understand that CAM360 will be rolled into Fusion360. With that I worry about how holes are created in Fusion360. Without a typical through next, through all or through until end option for holes they are all treated as blind and to get a through hole you need to create the hole depth greater than the block thickness. What I am worried about is how the CAM360 module will treat this. For instance if I have a one inch block with 3/4 deep holes no problem CAM360 will drill the hole to a depth of 3/4, but what if I have a hole that I just left at some abitrary depth of 3 inches so I knew that no matter how my model changed the hole would go completly through the block. Now when I go to CAM360 will it want to drill 3 inch deep holes in my 1 inch block? This could damage vises and fixtures that I may be using to hold the stock.

Thanks,

Randy

Message 5 of 9
jeff.pek

Hi Randy -

When you create a drilling operation, using a hole defined in Fusion, we will default to the top and bottom of the hole as the depth. You are able to change this, so that (for example), you restrict it to only go to a certain distance above the bottom of the stock. You have to remember to do this, but it certainly doesn't force you to stick to the Fusion geometry.

Jeff

Message 6 of 9
mcnurlin
in reply to: jeff.pek

Jeff, that method will work. It's not elegant and does not capture design intent for through holes. It still would be nice to have through next, through all and trough untill options for hole depths. It would also be nice to have a table to select from with standard hole dimensions for clearance holes, counterbored holes and countersunk holes.

Any news on my original question about the parameter names changing when the dimension for the hole location changes value?

Randy

Message 7 of 9
AndrewSears

I am still looking into this.  So far I have not been able to reproduce the parameters changing and causing equations to fail.

Andy

Message 8 of 9
porsbym

On the subject of drilling: In CAM 360 we actually look primarily at the geometry and so it will not matter how you created the hole in Fusion. An imported part with a hole, a "through all/next/until" hole or a 10in hole going through a 1in-block will all give the same drill depth if the result is a cylinder of the same length and geometry at the bottom.

With that said, we're actually working on additional features for drilling such as collision checking to avoid (or stop) at the depth of obstructions in a hole, as well as further features to utilize information about the hole features (e.g. thread type), as well as much more automation.

I hope this sheds a bit of light on the topic.

Best regards,

Mark Porsby

Message 9 of 9
AndrewSears

Randy,

I can reproduce this now.  The key for me is to edit only one of the original hole dimensions on the model.  This action seems to be creating a new parameter.

For now, avoid editing dimensions on the model and edit the parameters in the parameters dialog when equations are being used.  When you edit parameters in the parameters dialog nothing seems to be breaking, or at least I can't reproduce this using only the parameters dialog.  This is the best workaround I have until we get this fixed.  

Thanks for reporting this!  Keep the defects coming!

Andy 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report