Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Update posted to address Fusion 360 quality issues

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
sanjay_jayabal
4754 Views, 29 Replies

New Update posted to address Fusion 360 quality issues

Hello,

We have released an update to Fusion 360 to address a few quality issues that were reported by you (our customers).  Below are the issues addressed by this update.

1. Instability with Save Copy As and Save As STL

2. IGES export not being read in correctly in other products such as Rhino

3. Unable to enter decimal values in the heads-up-display

4. Variable radius fillet failing in Parametric mode

5. Browser cross highlighting broken

6. Workplane projection in sketch does not update

7. Couple of other crashes reported

We hope this gets you back on track and sincerely apologize for the incovenience caused by the previous update.  Please do let us know what you think of the update and keep giving us your feedback.  We are listening and want to do the best we can for you.

best regards,

Sanjay Jayabal (Autodesk)

On behalf of the entire Fusion 360 Team.

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
kingson138
in reply to: sanjay_jayabal

Hi this update we have to do ourselves ? I do not see auto update in fusion 360. Maybe because I am in Hong
Kong. My license from Singapore.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 3 of 30
bespenship
in reply to: kingson138

Hi Kingson,

The update should be automatic.  Prompted by your post, we also looked into this issue on our end and discovered a technical problem with the posting process that prevented availability of the update in some locations.  We have addressed the issue on our end.  Can you please confirm when you have the update?

Thank you for the heads up and cheers.

Brent Espenship
Fusion 360 Quality
Macbook Pro retina - MacOS X 10.11.5 (main)
WIndows 7 Notebook
Message 4 of 30
kingson138
in reply to: bespenship

Hi Brent, to answer this I do not know when the update was done on my iMac, as I told you in the other thread. Since it happened so fast I might had missed the banner on the top. But I updated my Mac Air this morning at about 1am Hong Kong time (Mar 22, 2014). Yes I told you, maybe Hong Kong problem were fixed since I could not buy the license before. I am not sure how the people in China are able to use the program. Maybe they can get license or under a special term. If Hong Kong was left out this time please fix it. I hope I am not the only paid user in Hong Kong.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 5 of 30
sanjay_jayabal

Hi Kingson,

Reading your reply to Brent, am I correct in understanding that you are not being prompted to update your Fusion 360 software?  Can you click on Help > About and tell me the build number that you see?  If it shows 2.0.1082 then you have the latest update.  If it shows 2.0.1072, then you have not yet received the liveupdate.  If it shows 2.0.1072, then please also make sure that you have restarted your application to receive the update notification.

best regards,

Message 6 of 30
kingson138

Hi Sanjay, I think Hong Kong was prevented to have the update before I dropped a message here. Apparently Brent fixed that issue and i was able to get the Auto Update at about 12am + on 22nd of March, maybe two days delayed. I remember i turned off my office computers at about 40pm on the 21st or March Hong Kong time and I did not get the update. 

This morning, 22nd of March at 10:30am i got update messages on both of my office Mac mini computers. In fact this delay only happened this time.

In fact if it were not for Brent's help i could not even get the yearly rental license in Hong Kong. I actually had to change my Centurion Card address to my Singapore office and get the license in Hong Kong because the eStore in Hong Kong only takes are of AutoCad for Architects. I am not sure how the people in China obtained their license. Anyway please make sure we in Hong Kong are not prevented from update from now on. I hope I am not the only users in Hong Kong. As far as Autodesk is concerned I am in Singapore but physically I am actually in Hong Kong.

Thanks for replying.

PS: After the update it is 1082  (old one is 1072)

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 7 of 30
sanjay_jayabal

Hi Kingson,

Thank you for confirming that you are now on 1082.  The update was released at about 1:40pm China time on March 21.  Looks like there was about a half day delay in you getting the update, sorry about the delay and glad to know that you are on the latest version.  Thank you for the quick responses.

best regards,

Message 8 of 30
kingson138

I deleted last reply and replaced with this new one:

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for quick reply. But Hong Kong and China are two different places. Maybe Autodesk Allows Users in China to get licenses but not Users in Hong Kong so that is why I am not getting the update yesterday until I dropped the message here. I told you I had to get the license from Singapore by changing my address of my Centurion Card (AMEX) to my Singapore office just for that purpose. Then I changed back to Hong Kong. Maybe the e Store in Hong Kong did not negotiated an acceptable deal.

There is another way, manual operation that I should use. If next time I saw some information about updates available I will do the manual updating. That will work.

Thanks.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 9 of 30
kingson138

Hi Brent and Sanjay,

Tonight I am starting to experiment with the Parametric mode after the small bug update (yes that's what you guys had been talking about, just bug fix? No other big deals right?) and I can tell you with 200% confidence that "I LIKE IT!"

After using it for a while, I kind of like the features on the timeline, like soft delete, Suppress Feature etc.. I think it is more stable now. Just One Frozen screen while I was trying to do Push Pull on a Pipe with 10mm diameter. I tried to drag the arrow to expend it and it froze up. I Force Quit and got the recovered file. I used my own work around this time. I pulled the arrow a little and plugged in the number "1.0000mm" and it worked.

To tell the truth, I had been telling everyone that the PUSH PULL operation on very small object with diameter (usually round type) of less than 2.5mm always resulted in a Crash or a Frozen computer. It is still doing sometimes that but hey, that is no big deal. I can use it with my own way.

After a few more experimenting on it I will start importing my Client's Stp files and will try to do some editing work on them. I hope it will work beautifully.

Hey I do not mind those switching back and forth, recording no recording type of things. I think it is kind of fun and takes the boredom away. Great works guys!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 10 of 30
bespenship

Thanks Kingson,

Optimistic as always Smiley Happy - we need to keep working on quality issues so you're not encountering any of the issues you described.  I appreciate that you are tolerant of issues as we work to make Fusion more capable, but I look forward to your post that says you have been using Fusion regularly and can't remebmber the last time you had a hang, crash, or data issue.

Please keep us posted with your experience.

Brent Espenship
Fusion 360 Quality
WIndows 7 Notebook
Message 11 of 30
kingson138

Hi Brent, in terms of small objects, let me show you my small objects. These are very small objects within a very small structure like a very small ring, or pendant. You know how small the objects on a ring surface are. Attached is a screen shot of a very small spacer underneath a flower on the surface of a Size 46 (46MM C) ring. The surface length of the spacer is oval shape, the longest part is less than 0.5mm x 0.3mm. I had to raise the part. the visable part is shown here with measurement generated by sketched point. of course the spacer is deeply imbeded into the ring band of less than 2mm thick. This will generate frozen screen even now most of the time.. I plugged in numbers in Push Pull operation. Extrusion might be more stable and I can generate a taper angle.

Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 9.10.50 am.png

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 12 of 30
Helmi74

For future updates i have some suggestions:

- post a detailled update posts with changes (well at least the ones you want to communicate) along with the new version number

- Leave an update note in the client (on the dashboard?) that says "you have been updated to version xyz" and links to the post with the changelog in the forums/blogs.

- keep those update posts in the same place. I guess now we have update posts in the blog, somewhere in the forums and an update thread as a sticky in the forums.

The last update happened automatically in the background and though i'm using Fusion360 on 3 different computers i only noticed the update happening on one.

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
Message 13 of 30
NicolasXu

Hi Kinson,

Regarding the crash in Press/Pull workflow, I tried it several times and was able to reproduce a crash in a special case. And I wonder if it’s the same issue you experienced.  

Were you able to submit crash reports for these? If so, if you can PM me with the email address you entered when you submitted these, I will locate the crash error reports you submitted (many thanks for doing this). This will provide some useful information for the development team to look into it.

Thanks for your feedback and keep them coming.

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 30
kingson138
in reply to: NicolasXu

Hi Nicolas, I am happy that you are able to reproduce some similar Fusion 360 push pull crashes. My latest crash occurred yesterday night using the new version at the Parametric Mode but I did not submit a report. I was just doing experiment on the mode. I got the recovered file. I do not usually get crashes since I always tried to work around them. Yesterday I was trying to use Push Pull (maybe using Create Base Feature mode) to increase the side thickness of a 10mm hollow (2mm wall thickness)  tube with the middle part in a square box and i got a crash when trying to drag the arrow. the screen frozen up. After Force Quiting and restarting Fusion i got the file back. I did the same thing but this time i just pulled the arrow a little bit and plugged in 1.0000mm and it worked.  I would say yours and mind should be same. Push Pulling very small object by dragging the arrow. Sometimes I had to push pull a disk by as little as 0.1mm+ to support some small structures on ring bands and pendants. Those are very very small objects.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 15 of 30
NicolasXu

Thanks for the quick response and sharing the details, Kingson! (And sorry for my typo in the previous reply).

I will keep an eye on the case (e.g. small objects) in future testing. Please let us know if you see any other problems.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 30
kingson138

Hi Nicolas, The Typo is fine. This actually related to a little thing this Board needs. The peron's name should be entered in the reply box automatically. Most of the time we had to go back and forth to get the correct spelling. Maybe that is an improvement in the forum that is actually quite important. Do you agree?

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 17 of 30
kingson138

Hi Nicolas, I had reproduced a crash and this is the name of the report

CER_93499772 

First i made a box in Create Form or face (parametric mode ). Then I sketched a curve and used Pipe to create a pipe of 5mm dia with a wall  thickeness of 0.5mm. I then moved and combined this tube, still in create form mode (I might had click finished Create Form) , to the box with "Cut" but keep tool body option. I then deleted the extra body formed. I got a hollow tube thru the box .

Rather than clicking Create Base Feature,  I was able to do direct push pull on the side of the pipe to increase or decrease the thickness of its walls. it worked thru the box.  I was able to push pull increase or decrease the length of the tube too, without using Create Base Feature.

However once I touched the project on the timeline it did not work anymore. To do Push Pull I had to switched to Create Base Feature mode.  Then I wanted to scale both pipe and box. Both separated by "Move" command. I tried to turn off recording on the timeline and then... the program frozen and report generated. Here you have it.

Oh a few hours' later I ran more test, this time at the parametric mode, Sketched and push pull up a bigger object. I then push pull on the side. In fact it is pulling and suddenly it froze up. This is the report number:

CER_93510622

OK my conclusion here is after trying the program for one day and one night, I can almost tell when the program is freezing or crashing. In fact it is doing this so easily and I am not even doing anything strange. I think I have to default back to the DM mode for commercial work. I cannot afford to lose time and data on clients' files. So I wait for next update and try again. Sorry.

Regards,
Kingson

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 18 of 30
bespenship
in reply to: Helmi74

Hi Frank (@Helmi),

That's good feedback and I personally agree that updates should be more obvious (without being obnoxious).  I'm also following up with our community managers to see if there are any objections to updating the release details as part of the release process.  We will need to watch out for providing a ballnce in release summaries of too much vs too little detail.

Brent Espenship
Fusion 360 Quality
WIndows 7 Notebook
Message 19 of 30
Helmi74

true, but that's why i would only show something like "you have been updated to Version 12.345 (click for details)" so people can click the link or just close the banner.
---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
Message 20 of 30
NicolasXu

Hi Kingson,

Sorry to hear the frustration. And many thanks for these extra details, really appreciate it! These certainly help us assessing the issue & improving the product.

We were able to reproduce the second crash (CER_93510622) on our side by looking into the details in the report. The operation does not always crash Fusion, b ut we do capture it in some situation. The development team will investigate this.

Regarding the first report (CER_93499772), it seems to be a different issue happens when stopping capturing design history. We’re still trying to reproduce it.

Kind regards, and thank you for your patience on this.

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report