Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move sketch missing?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
big_red_frog
677 Views, 6 Replies

Move sketch missing?

I am sure I have previously been able to move sketch planes.

However, in a new design, I want to be able to move my sketch which has most of the primitives for extrusion up a few mm's, as the next components will sit on the last.

However, I cant see how to move the sketch.

Move is not in the context menu, and cannot select the sketch if I generically trigger a move.

Am I missing the obvious, should it just be there?...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Thanks for your post!

We introduce “Parametric Modeling” in this release. You may refer to the link below for more information. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Update-Release-Notes-Current-v-2-0-1043/td-p/...

Moving sketch plane is only supported in Direct Modeling environment in this release. What you experienced might be happened in Parametric Modeling environment. Could you check if it’s the case?

You may set the preference from Preferences-> General -> Fusion 360-> Design History.

Untitled.png

We also looked into your design, and there are some possible workaround:

1. Leverage construction plane. You can create a new construction plane by offset the sketch, then start a new sketch on the construction plane and project the necessary sketch geometries.

2. Combining the several Press/Pull into one step could also work around this issue. 

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
AndrewSears
in reply to: big_red_frog

You can move the entire sketch but the selection is more specific in History Modeling.

In modeling it will work the way you remember.  In History Modeling you need to select the "Move Sketch Geometry" option then select the sketch you want to move.  FYI - you will need to exit the sketch first..

move sketch.png

Did that answer part of your question?

Andy 

Message 4 of 7
big_red_frog
in reply to: AndrewSears

Not fully understanding where to trigger the move dialog from in the example given.

That the workflow is substantially different is a concern in itself.

I am only looking to move the entire sketch in this case.

Is this workflow going to be normalised in both history / non history modelling?

Message 5 of 7
AndrewSears
in reply to: big_red_frog

Ron,

I have a correction to what I stated.  " FYI - you will need to exit the sketch first.." This is not true.  You can move only sketch entities with the sketch active in addition to being out of the sketch.

We do not have the ability to move an entire sketch in history mode yet because we do not have a parametric feature map for "sketch move" to go into the timeline.  As a workaround you can highlight all of the entities of a sketch, RMB in canvas and choose move.

We have this in our system to improve the product.

Andy 

Message 6 of 7
HanswurstNC
in reply to: AndrewSears

I'm having the same issue all of a sudden. I sued to move sketches all over the place by selecting them in the browser, right clicking and using the move command. The command is gone now. You guys pushed out a new update so all of my preferences were gone, so I reset the parametric to direct modeling. Was the command removed?

I've also noticed that the create pipe function is no longer available. What gives? I use that one all the time.

Many thanks,

Hanswust

Message 7 of 7
Helmi74
in reply to: HanswurstNC

Hi Hanswurst,

unfortunately not all features are available yet in the history design mode (the one with the timeline).

You can not only switch your preferences to start in direct modelling mode by default with new documents but can also always switch your existing designs to that mode by right clicking on the browser level on the top end of your browser. Select "do not capture design history" there and you are good to go. Pipe and Sketch moving is available then.

Here's a screen of where to find that link: 

HTH!

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report