Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to measure volume (or mass if given density) of a body?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
AvihooI
8408 Views, 15 Replies

Is there a way to measure volume (or mass if given density) of a body?

I would like to measure the volume of a body in order to figure out what its mass would be. Is that easily possible in Fusion 360?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: AvihooI

Hi You can get those properties by right clicking on the root component at the browser and select properties: Two screen shots to show you here:

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 2.53.00 pm.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 2.53.13 pm.png

Message 3 of 16
AvihooI
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you,
I actually found out that feature two hours after asking the question and was giving myself a facepalm 🙂

It's good to have this as reference though cause I couldn't find it using the search option or on google!

Thanks again!
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Hi I deleted the last post because I would like to add a few more points. Yours is a great question! I used  "Mass" from Properties to estimate the approximate cost of materials to be used in the actual model. Most of our projects will be made by Plastic Injection Molding method and the approximate Mass is quite important. To get the X, Y, Z dimensions I would save an STL file of the model and use a 3rd party 3D reader to get the dimension information.  When 2D drawing is available for Mac Fusion users we should be able to get the dimensions within Fusion.

Message 5 of 16
jfanchin

Just wanted to check on if the volume/mass calculation is available for Mac yet?  Having some trouble locating ...

Thank you

Message 6 of 16
Phil.E
in reply to: jfanchin

Hi thanks for posting to the forum.

The properties for your parts are found by right clicking on the component node in the browser. Use "properties". It's the same for Mac or Windows.

properties.png 

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 16
jfanchin
in reply to: Phil.E

Thank you, I found that info on the Internet, but the root cause of the issue was that I was using an Apple mouse that didn't have a right click button. I assumed the Mac version was different and that commands might have been located differently, but once I guessed that it might be as simple of a hardware issue I was able to get it sorted out.

It might be a great helpful tip online though to make sure you have full functional mouse to access all features.

Thank you,
Joe

Sent from my iPhone
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

I design a Steel parts over 100 kg, density  is 7.8 kg / m^3, how to change density    0.0078 g / mm^3 to 7.8 kg/ m^3?

Message 9 of 16
BrettClausen

Hi,

Your calculation is exactly the same, just divide your answer by 1,000,000.

Brett.

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: BrettClausen

@BrettClausen wrote:

Hi,

Brett.

Thank you your help. But this not my want, we need to know some casting parts over 1000 kg, the density g/mm^3 can't fit our request.

@BrettClausen wrote:

Hi,

Brett.

Message 11 of 16
BrettClausen

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your question.

What are you trying to do?

Brett.

Message 12 of 16
BrettClausen

Try this.

1m^3 = 1,000,000,000mm^3

The specific gravity of steel = 7.85

The formula for a piece of steel in kilograms is - ((volume in mm^3) x 7.85) / 1,000,000)

The mass of a cubic meter of steel  is 7,850kg     -     I.E. 7850kg/m^3

The formula for a piece of steel in grams is - ((volume in mm^3) x 7.85) / 1,000)

The mass of a cubic millimetre of steel is 0.00785g     -      I.E. 0.00785g/mm^3

To get the weight of any other material - substitute the specific gravity of that material for the number 7.85 in the calculations above.

Does this solve your problem?

Brett

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply.

thank you. 

@BrettClausen wrote:

Try this.

1m^3 = 1,000,000,000mm^3

The specific gravity of steel = 7.85

The formula for a piece of steel in kilograms is - ((volume in mm^3) x 7.85) / 1,000,000)

The mass of a cubic meter of steel  is 7,850kg     -     I.E. 7850kg/m^3

The formula for a piece of steel in grams is - ((volume in mm^3) x 7.85) / 1,000)

The mass of a cubic millimetre of steel is 0.00785g     -      I.E. 0.00785g/mm^3

To get the weight of any other material - substitute the specific gravity of that material for the number 7.85 in the calculations above.

Does this solve your problem?

Brett

Message 14 of 16
robduarte

I posted this video on the topic recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikstpkcRuI

Rob Duarte
Associate Professor in Art, Florida State University
Co-Director FSU Facility for Arts Research
http://art.fsu.edu/rob-duarte/

Twitter | YouTube

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: robduarte

How check the density/mass of the part in the mobile app. Is it possible  I haven't found any info about this or is the mobil app only a viewer program that can't measure mass? 

Message 16 of 16
g-andresen

Hi Mattias,

try it this way:

mobile_masse anzeigen.png

regards

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report