Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to measure distance between two cylinder's center lines?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
lure23
6182 Views, 5 Replies

Is there a way to measure distance between two cylinder's center lines?

The Inspect > Measure tool is rather handy, but also feels limited.

I would want to know the vertical distance between the two selected (blue) horizontal cylinders in the picture, measured from their center lines.

'Measure' doesn't seem to be giving me either the component (vertical) measures, neither be able to anchor the measurements to the center lines.

measure.png

Is there a way to get this done in current Fusion 360?

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
karyeka
in reply to: lure23

Hi Asko,

Measure gives the shortest distance between the 2 cylinders (both when I just select cylindrical faces or cylinder bodies in selection types in the Measure dialog). It does give me radii for both so I can calculate the distance between the axes, but yeah I don't get the distance between the axes directly.

However, another approach, which I found very easy, is I can just create work axis for both the cylinders and then use measure to get the distance between the 2 axes.

Please check the video - http://www.screencast.com/t/5FQx4MxRaC

Regards,

Anand Karyekar

Fusion360 Development

Anand Karyekar

Forge Graphics
Message 3 of 6
lure23
in reply to: karyeka

Thanks, Anand

Yes, making the center axes is easy enough. However, it's still the direct distance that is measured, and I'd need the vertical component.

I solved it by measuring the distance of edges in a third object that both poles had cut, and which was vertical.

Anyone else been missing axis-specific distances in 'Measure' dialog?

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.
Message 4 of 6
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: lure23

"Anyone else been missing axis-specific distances in 'Measure' dialog?"

Yes, I have. I'm used to a measure capability in Cobalt that would: 

1) Give me the closest distance between the selected objects or points, and in addition display their X, Y, and Z offset.  I use the latter far more than the former- How far above the level of the circuit board is that switch axis?  Difficult to tell in Fusion unless it is positioned directly above.  

2) assume that I am most likely wanting to know the distance center to center between two cylindrical objects/ holes, rather than their closest distance, and provides a center snap (also midpoint-on-centerline, each end, quadrants, etc.) without having to create a construction feature- exactly as Fusion provides a center snap when the Joint tool is activated.  The Joints tool could serve as a good model for this.  

Right now, if I want to measure the distance between the centerline mid-point of a cylindrical object and the center end of another cylindrical object (something I actually need to do frequently) the only way I see to do it is to activate components, create construction features in them, turn on their visibility, and measure between those features. Then turn off their visibility to avoid cluttering the interface.  In Cobalt, I simply hover over a point, and as with Joints in Fusion, a snap hint is activated. It's one step vs. several steps, sometimes more.

I think I will post this to the Idea section.

Ron

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 5 of 6

I was also missing this feature, it also seems the Windows version of F360 does not have that "Measure Type" selection option.

Measuring axis to axis will only work if they are in line in relation to a certain axis, otherwise you are still measuring a diagonal line.

To "fix" it, I just created a sketch and projected the geometry of both and drew some sketch lines and measured those...
Message 6 of 6

If there is additional capabilites you would like to see in the Measure command, the best way to help us prioritize these is to create an Ideastation post, or vote up other posts that are related.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/idb-p/125

You feedback is always appreciated,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report