Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inclined object

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Nicolinux
1256 Views, 5 Replies

Inclined object

Hi,

sorry for the noobish question. I have to objects where I'd like to incline some faces from the first and the second by 15°. I have selected the respective faces from the first object, and the second object. But the end result is not what I expect. I am sure there is a lot I am missing...

Thanks.

http://about.me/nicolinux
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jakefowler
in reply to: Nicolinux

HI Nicolinux,

Many thanks for posting this!

Was the result you were hoping for something like the image below?

nicolinux.png

If not, would it be possible to get some more information about what shape you are trying to achieve? (If the image is close, perhaps you could just point out the mistakes with this 🙂 )

I’m guessing that you are using the Move tool for this inclining, is that correct? When you are rotating faces with the Move tool, it's often important to make sure that the Move manipulator is aligned with the axis you want to rotate 'around'. You can control this by picking the first face to move in the desired position, which will determine the location of the manipulator (you can use the Reorient button to modify this, if not initially in the desired place).

Also, when you Move any faces on a solid body, the adjacent faces will be extended in their natural direction. This might be responsible for the undesirable shape(s) you are getting. It might worth experimenting with different selections of faces, or even just moving faces one-by-one, to see which faces may be giving you unexpected shapes.

If you have any more information about the desired result, let us know and we can try to provide some more specific suggestions for this 🙂

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 3 of 6
Nicolinux
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the extensive reply. That's what I want to achieve (or inclining the second object and the case follows) - but that's ok like this.

Sadly I am unable to select the right faces to get this effect. Maybe you could explain a bit further.

Thanks

Stefan

Message 4 of 6
Nicolinux

Alright, got it. I did forget to select some inward faces.

Now that I think about it - without any CAD experience, it is not easy to work through Fusion. Until the documentation is ready, which product is similar to Fusion 360 (were I could read the docs and some core concepts)? I guess it is Autodesk Inventor Fusion for Mac - right?

Message 5 of 6
jakefowler
in reply to: Nicolinux

Hi Stefan,

Sorry if the initial post wasn’t entirely clear, but great to hear that you figured it out!

Thanks for your patience as we build the official Fusion 360 documentation; this is something we are working on at the moment. You're absolutely right, the Inventor Fusion WikiHelp might be a good place to learn the fundamentals of the Model and Patch tools – although the tools may not be identical to Fusion 360, a lot of the underlying technology is similar. As for learning the Sculpt (T-Spline) modelling tools, as well as our own learning videos, the T-Splines website has a lot of great information and tutorials.

If you ever get stuck, you can always get in touch with us, or post a question here – I'm sure this will help many other people who have been wanting to ask the same questions as you!

And if you have any thoughts or ideas about how we can make Fusion 360 easier to use or easier to learn, please let us know on our IdeaStation; this kind of feedback is really helpful for determining future developments.

Thanks again Stefan!
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 6 of 6
Nicolinux

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the links. I will post my experience on the ideastation forum.

Best wishes

Stefan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report