Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model a topo map

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sprior913
3034 Views, 7 Replies

How to model a topo map

My house is on a bit of a hill and as it happens I have a site survey map which has elevation lines and I think it would be cool to model the hill and my house so I could goof around with it and maybe 3D print it.

I think I know how to create a 2D sketch using the image of the survey map as a guide.  What I'm not sure how to do is to use the contour lines in that sketch to create a 3D body.  Can anyone suggest an approach?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: sprior913

I can't say that I know, but I would create a series of sketches, one for each contour, offsetting each sketch by the elevation. Then try using those as inputs to a loft in the Patch workspace to generate a surface. If you need a solid, you could use that surface to trim a solid block.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 3 of 8
ururk
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

(I know this is an old post, but it seemed more appropriate to respond to this thread, rather than create a new one)

I'm trying to do what sprior913 is doing, but to help visualize placement of a barn.

I created svg files for each elevation, and inserted them into construction planes spaced at 2' intervals. I tried lofting between the elevations, but keep getting this message when trying to loft between certain sketches:

Error: Tool body creation failed
Error: The loft would flow in an invalid direction.
Try adjusting the continuity settings. If two adjacent profiles are on the same plane, try moving one of these.

I then extruded all the elevations downwards to form one giant solid, and tried chamfering, but that too fails.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
prainsberry
in reply to: ururk

Would you be willing to post the model?

Patrick Rainsberry
Developer Advocate, Fusion 360
Message 5 of 8
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: ururk

Are you creating sketches on the construction planes, drawing the contours with splines, and using the splines to create a loft? It would help to see a screen shot or a sample file to visualize what you are doing. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 6 of 8
ole.ersson

I am trying to do the same thing: I have a site plan modeled in AutoCAD with 10" polyline contours. I imported this "contour test.dwg" file into Fusion 360, creating a contour sketch, then extruded the contours to their appropriate heights.

Now I wish to smooth out the topography by eliminating the abrupt edges.

First I tried filleting and chamfering the edges but I could only get these actions to complete at their at the first and last line segments of the polylines. Edges in the middle of the Polylines would not work.

I also tried using the polylines as inputs for a Loft command. That also did not work.

It was suggested there is a way to do this using Forms. Apparently there is a way to mold a flat form to another shape.

I'd really appreciate it if someone can share how to do this!

I'm attaching the following files:

contour test.dwg

Tide Ave v2.F3z

Screen shot:

Contour test Fusion image

Message 7 of 8
Warmingup1953

Is the vertical scale correct in the screen capture?

Message 8 of 8
ole.ersson
in reply to: Warmingup1953

Yes. the vertical scale is correct.

The units of both the Autocad and Fusion files are inches.

I just attached another screenshot.

Contour test Fusion image 2.png

This shows the front line segment #1 to be 86"/

The height of the contours is 10".

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for helping!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report