Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import/place an .stp file

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
marc.liyanage
84180 Views, 26 Replies

How to import/place an .stp file

I downloaded an STP file for a screw from the manufacturer's website. I'm trying to insert it into my Fusion 360 design as a component or body, but I can't figure out if and how this is possible.

I was able to get it to show up in the dashboard with an upload, but I see no way to get it from the dashboard into the modeling environment. Is that currently possible at all?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
rishivadher
in reply to: marc.liyanage

Hi Marc

make it a fusion file then import in assembly tab.

best Rishi

Message 3 of 27
AndrewSears

We have 2 different ways to get data into the dashboard.  The first is using "Upload" and the second is using "Create".

- Upload will only add the files to the dashboard.  You Upload data that you will not be using in any of your working CAD models with "Upload Data" and use "Upload CAD data" for files that you will want to open in Fusion at some point.

- Create will allow you to either create or import CAD data in the form of a design, simulation, CAM, etc..  

Now, with a .STP file that you want to add to a design click "Create" then "Design" and choose to "Import" the file.  You can then select the Project you want to add the file to.  Once import is completed you can use the Insert option and search for the file.

FYI - You can tell the difference of file types by the icons on the component in the dashboard.  

importing option.png

Hope that helps and let me know if I need to expand on anything.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 4 of 27
marc.liyanage
in reply to: AndrewSears

Thanks Andrew! That was exactly what I needed to know and couldn't figure out. Worked great.

For what it's worth, and this might be a usability issue to discuss: when I have a model file on my system I have two buttons labeled "upload" and "create" right next to each other, I would have *never* expected that the path to the solution goes through the "create" button. It was crystal clear to me that "upload" is what I am trying to accomplish here, so this was a total surprise.

Message 5 of 27
AndrewSears

We hear that a lot.  That also got me when I first tried it. Smiley Wink

I will forward your comments to the usability people.

Andy

Message 6 of 27

Hi Marc,

There are 2 access points for Importing CAD files.

1. Upload - choose "Import CAD data from my local hard drive"

2. Create - choose Fusion Design and go to the Import tab.

best regards,

Sanjay Jayabal (Autodesk)

Message 7 of 27
maapfel

I need your help.  I have spent a lot of time (months; I am a beginner) creating my Fusion 360 project.  I want to add a handle and wonder whether it is possible to create that in a different file and then bring it into my project.  I expect that it will take a lot of tries for me to get what I want. 

Message 8 of 27
ppilat100

Where is this "create" button. Cant seem to find it.

Message 9 of 27
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: ppilat100

This is an old thread.

I could be wrong, but I think what you want is New Design from File and then select your *.stp or other file.

New Design from File.png

You can also Upload *.stp to your Data Panel and then Drag and Drop into your design.

Message 10 of 27
erutan409
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

*facepalm*

I'm sorry, but this is honestly so convoluted.  The import process of various files really needs to be better streamlined, IMHO.

Message 11 of 27
dewaine50

Where the hell is this? I literally cannot find create anywhere

Message 12 of 27
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: dewaine50

Fusion changes every 6-8 weeks.

You have replied to a 5 year old Solved thread - you should have started a new thread and linked back to this thread as reference.

Attach your file here and someone will demonstrate in a video how to Open and use the file.

Message 13 of 27

I'm completely frustrated too with the insert of step files.  I'm running the latest version of 360 (downloaded and installed May, 2019) on my windows 7 machine.  Program runs fine, no problems with hardware.  The McMaster Carr insert hangs in Download as many others have reported.  There is no way to open or insert more than one step file.  Also, this has to be done as the first step.  Once you start to draw, there is no way to add in a previously drawn component or body.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Seems like a basic program feature that is missing.

Thanks,

Message 14 of 27

The upload process through the data panel does not work ?

This allows to upload a number of external files at the same time.

You can insert external parts or self designed components from the data panel at any given point into a design.

Right-click on a component in the data panel and select "Insert into current design"

Peter Doering
Message 15 of 27

Sorry but where is the data panel?

Message 16 of 27

Have you watched any of the  tutorials in the Learn and Support section ?

Peter Doering
Message 17 of 27

I have, but didn't yet come across the data panel in the ones I've checked out.  The way that I have managed to import the manufacturer's part .stp file, which i had saved, was to click Insert, then Insert derive, then select the 'source' from my saved files.  In case it helps anyone.

Message 18 of 27

You can open .stp files directly through File->open without having to go through the data panel.

Peter Doering
Message 19 of 27

I had already tried this, but when i go File ---> Open, it opens the file in its own tab.  I was looking to import the .stp into my main project as a component, and Insert ---> Insert Derive worked for that.

Message 20 of 27

That might be the case, but you are using derive without having a full grasp of what it is doing.

This section of the documentation explains what the different UI elements are. Might be worth reading.

The documentation can easily be reached directly from withe Fusion 360 by clicking on the small question mark in the upper right corner.

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 7.21.55 AM.png

When you open a .stp file through File-< open it opens it in its own design.

That you can save in the data panel. Then from the data panel you and then you can  "Insert into current design" .

You should really only use the derive functionality if you can explain what the difference between "derive" and "Insert into current design" is.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report