Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter a precise location of a sketch component

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
2297 Views, 1 Reply

How to enter a precise location of a sketch component

Hi!

as I am a newbie with CAD applications, I am sure this is simple and I just cannot figure it out;

How do I place a new body, sketch or component or even any modify -function to a precise location?

Grid seems to have an origo, but I cannot find a way to use keyboard to enter location data as a X,Y,Z distance (in mm) from origo. Now I need to click with mouse, which is unprecise/slow and cannot seem to affect all three axis.

This would make million things plain easy - being it placing an hole to a certain location or aligning one body to another etc - so I am sure Autodesk guys figured out it is needed. So where have they hidden it to?

Thank you in advance!

-Mikko

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: Anonymous

Mikko,

There is no one answer- how to go about precise positioning depends on context and what you are trying to do. If you want to position a sketch in a precise location, for instance, you can offset a construction plane from a known surface, and locate the sketch there. In the sketch, you can use sketch dimensions to edit and control the sketch features.  In positioning a hole on a body, moving the cursor will show dimensions from edges and allow you to locate the hole in relation to other features.  See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubshXxx5Y5g&feature=youtu.be .  Working through some of the tutorial videos in the learning section will help, but it would be great if there were a tutorial devoted to positioning of objects, particularly oriented towards CAD novices.  Expand the Tutorials section, and look at "Create solid using extrude" and "Create solid using revolve"- those should help. 

If you are new to CAD, don't think in terms of grids- it's not useful.  Or, for Fusion, in terms of absolute X-Y-Z space. Positioning is generally relative to other objects or features. Explore the Construction Features- these are aids to setting up precise positioning.  Using a midplane, for instance, can allow you to position an object or sketch midway between two planar surfaces. 

Search the forum for "Precise Positioning" and you will see you are not alone in struggling with this. This one has some hints about using joints for positioning:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Help-with-alignment-workflow/m-p/4332190/high...

And this has some links to other tutorial videos:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Wanted-Tutorial-Video-on-Dimensions-and-Const...

Ron

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report