Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create bottle with screw-cap?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
thburn
5224 Views, 5 Replies

How to create bottle with screw-cap?

Hi,

I want to create a plastic bottle with a screw-cap and send to a 3D printing service.

Here my questions:

1. How to create the outer thread of the bottle?

2. How to create the inner thread of the cap that matches to the outher thread of the bottle?

3. If I create the outer thread of the bottle and use boolean operation to create the inner one of the cap then both threads have exact same size.

So I believe it would not be possible to screw the cap because it is to tight. How to make the thread of the cap a littlebit bigger (or the one of the bottle smaller) that there is some space for easy screwing?

Thanks for any help!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rishivadher
in reply to: thburn

Hi

is something similer to this pic

i modelled it on "model" mode

best

Message 3 of 6
schneik-adsk

Take a look at the coil command.
Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 6
thburn
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hi,

thanks for reply. I am not experienced in creating a file for 3D printing.

Is the thread command suitable for creating a thread for bottle / cap? Are these thread types not made for threads made of metal like skews etc.?

Since the thread comman creates all kinds of thread types I wonder if they will fit together after 3d printing? Using these kind of threads I am not able to make the cap thread a littlebit bigger if it is too tight. 

From my personal view the coil command my suits better because I can make any type of coil and even make the coil for the cam 0.1 mm bigger or smaller to get a smooth screwing.
Is someone here who can share experiences with threads / coils and 3D printing? 

Message 5 of 6
TheCADWhisperer

The thread command does not create the threadform for a plastic bottle.

If you cannot use one of the Section profiles in the Coil command - it might be difficult.

We 3D print a lot of parts - leave a little extra clearance between mating threads as the 3D printing process isn't very precise (depending on machine).

Attach your file here and I will take look and give my opinion.

Message 6 of 6
thburn
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi TheCADWhisperer,

thanks for reply.

Up to know I don't have any file since I don't know how to create the thread.

The profiles of the coil command are very few, so I don't think that one of them fits.

I think creating a sketch as profile and use the sweep command can sove this problem? But how to create a sketch/path like a coil/spiral?

I also do not know how the thread of bottle / cap must be to get a smooth skrewing.

How many turns I need, what is the best profile?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report