Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does promote work?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
big_red_frog
1212 Views, 1 Reply

How does promote work?

Hi There,

I want to dig around in older versions of my design to see if there is an undamaged version of a component, which other wise is no longer fully editable, as per my other thread.

I assume I need to use promote, but worry I will end up juggling heavily to keep track of the latest master, and all the versions I want to look at. Right now I am guessing at the implications.

Are there notes on how promote works anywhere, so I can understand the workflow?

What would be best, would be the ability to open an arbitary version with out changing the version order, so then I dont add complexity to my history.

I also assume that export may be the answer, but again worry I will create many unnecassary new desgins, when I first want to identify what is viable.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
secorw
in reply to: big_red_frog

You're right, currently you can only edit the most recent version of a design -- though you can use the preview tool to investigate older versions.  I think in your situation that might not be enough.

Promoting an older version does two things: (1) makes a copy of the version you are promoting and (2) puts it at the top of the version history.  You can then edit the most recent version.

@big_red_frog wrote:

What would be best, would be the ability to open an arbitary version with out changing the version order, so then I dont add complexity to my history.

I also assume that export may be the answer, but again worry I will create many unnecassary new desgins, when I first want to identify what is viable.

I agree.  Opening older versions, maybe in a read-only mode, without going through the promote process would be quite helpful for situations like you've described.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report