Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does mirror work?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
big_red_frog
406 Views, 7 Replies

How does mirror work?

Hi There,

I have a mirrored body, where I have a left piece, the original, and a right piece.

I edited the left piece after the mirror creation, expecting the right piece to similarly update, but it did not.

Am I missing / misunderstanding something?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Phil.E
in reply to: big_red_frog

What you are expecting is correct. Let's find out what's going on!

Please confirm a couple things:

Are the bodies in a browser folder called Mirror Group?

Did you dissolve the Mirror node in the browser?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

what the does that mean?

Message 4 of 8
colin.smith
in reply to: big_red_frog

Hi @big_red_frog

If you are using the parametric modeling the only features that move in the mirror are the ones that happened in the timeline.

There isn't any history across the mirror. If you look at the example image below you can see in the timeline that I mirrored the cylinder and then added a smaller cylender to the first cylinder and it didn't mirror over.  If I want that second cylinder feature to mirror I have to either mirror it again, or move the mirror command further down in the timeline to capture the new feature.

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 12.28.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 12.34.53 PM.png

Hope that helps.

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: colin.smith

Thanks. I am mirroring in an assembly, and the part and mirror are placed after the driving sketch/feature. When I change the position of the part, the mirror does not update. Does an assembly behave differently to a part in this regard?
Regards
Andrew

Andrew O'Dea

Mechanical Engineer

QinetiQ Australia
506 Lorimer Street
PORT MELBOURNE, VIC 3207
Tel: +61 (3) 96267199
Email: aodea@qinetiq.com.au
Web: www.QinetiQ.com.au<../../../../../../Documents%20and%20Settings/baina/Application%20Data/Microsoft/S...
QinetiQ - People who know how

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.
Message 6 of 8
colin.smith
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Can you show me a screen shot of what you are trying to do?

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: colin.smith

Hi Colin

In this instance i am making a frame, the size of which is dictated by the size of the flange of a pressure vessel coming through the platform, indicated by the blue sketch circle in the centre. If i generate the frame part circled in black, trim ends, apply plates, then mirror it through the XY plane, it does not move if i change the size of the frame, and subsequently the position of the driving frame member.

I could make this frame separately, place it, then mirror it (would that update? my experience says no), but then i cant use the nice trim features of the frame generator.

Also, if i mirror one of the other assemblies, then move the driver, the mirror doesn't update to the new position - the post for example.

Regards

Andrew

frame mirror.png

Message 8 of 8
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Your screen shot looks like Inventor not Fusion, think you might be in the wrong forum.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report