Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you copy parts of a sketch?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
banshee10
582 Views, 12 Replies

How do you copy parts of a sketch?

I can't even figure out something as basic as select/copy/paste - there are bits of the sketch that I think should be copied that aren't.

What am I missing?

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/c5e672ce-d33a-40c8-bb26-c8b315615810

----
James Moore
james@restphone.com
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
rishivadher
in reply to: banshee10

Hi
You can use the pattern, and then the mirror, so will have all the geometry, and it will be constrained.
Best
Message 3 of 13
banshee10
in reply to: rishivadher

What does "you can use the pattern" mean?

----
James Moore
james@restphone.com
Message 4 of 13
banshee10

I tried mirroring around a sketch line and the results are baffling:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/13f6bf21-8beb-4205-8b36-2766a5618c74
----
James Moore
james@restphone.com
Message 5 of 13
rishivadher

Hi,
Since you're having issues with sketch, you can level up to solid and so two different body's and then do the patterns and the mirror
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A_iMrKYK4JU
Message 6 of 13
banshee10

That seems like it just makes the problem a lot more complicated. I just want to copy parts of a sketch; adding in a body seems like a really strange way to do it.
----
James Moore
james@restphone.com
Message 7 of 13
rishivadher

But if it works, than is preferebel.
I'll try that when I'm at the PC, now I'm in the iPad ;), I'm in Portugal and it's late
Message 8 of 13
rishivadher

Message 9 of 13
jakefowler

Hi James,

I've got a feeling this could be related to the 'Select Through' setting. In the Select > Selection Filters menu, is Select Through enabled or disabled?

SelectThrough.png

If disabled, try enabling this option and doing the copy & paste (or patterning) again. 

When this option is unchecked, only 'foreground' objects will be selected when doing group selections. It's possible that the sketch lines are being determined as 'behind' the sketch points, which could be causing the behaviour you are seeing.

Let me know whether that works or not.

Many thanks for posting this one!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 10 of 13
kingson138
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake, I just tried to enable "Select Through" on a Mac using Parametric Mode. It did not work. I could not even copy a sketch by selecting the whole sketch using the left or right selection technique. Only by changing to DM mode the sketch could be copied using the copy method and moved successfully. At Parametric Mode the usual CMD C or V could not do anything but these commands worked at the DM Mode on MAC.  Maybe Control C and V work on PC, but not MAC. So DM Mode is needed to copy or move sketches.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 11 of 13
jakefowler
in reply to: kingson138

Hi Kingson,

You're right, whole sketches can only be copied & pasted inside Direct designs at the moment. But inside any design (Parametric or Direct), you should be able to copy & paste parts of a sketch while you are editing the sketch (i.e. before hitting 'Stop Sketch'). This is what I thought could be helped with toggling Select Through. If this doesn't work, that's something we'd definitely want to look at.

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 12 of 13
kingson138
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake, you are also correct. At the Parametric Mode, within the same skeching environment the users can copy and paste sketches, as well as selecting sketches and moving them.

You are also correct, it is the "Select through" that has to be enabled. Thanks for the tip! Now I will make sure that the "Select Through" box is checked all the time!

I think this solved James' sketching problem!

Thanks!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 13 of 13
banshee10
in reply to: kingson138

Thanks - checking the "Select through" box meant that I got behavior that made sense, and it looks like I can copy now.

----
James Moore
james@restphone.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report