Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with closing a solid

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
big_red_frog
1211 Views, 7 Replies

Help with closing a solid

Hi there,

Attached is a f3d of a vac form model, which will be 3d printed, and used to then vac form a clear visor.

see http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:217267 for a few more details.

screenshot.png

As is often the case, after heavy 3d modelling work, I find the solid loses integrity and is generally unwilling to be operated upon with basic union and other functions.

Likely due to user error in the modelling process introducing internal voids and inconsistant faces.

To that end, I opened up the solid in patch mode, and using specific selection filters for faces so I could select though tiny elements that are often the case, I deleted all the internal elements that should not be there, and then continued to patch any evident holes, and stitch them back into the main surface.

However, it is still an open mesh as per the icon in this screen shot.

How do I identify the remaining artifacts that are preventing it from being a closed solid, so I can address them, and get back to complex logic, such as boolean operations?

Noting I have already tried validate, and addressed the faces that were highlighted as missing or inverted normals in those cases.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rishivadher
in reply to: big_red_frog

hi there are 2 holes on your model(zoom to that vertice)

best RV

2holes.jpg

Message 3 of 8
big_red_frog

Thanks for the response, I may be missing the trick, how do I locate those holes?
Message 4 of 8
rishivadher

I usually want to solve the problems the faster way.

When used have to do the classes with drawing at that time in 2006, we used to crack Inventor to make the project at home and I used to solve some colleagues complex forms.

Made an iges in fusion and located in Geomagic. So don't now the trick;)

Message 5 of 8
big_red_frog
in reply to: rishivadher

Ok, so you located via an exported work flow 🙂

I found the two holes via manual inspection, left and right mirrors of the same hole near the bottom of the face plate.

fault.jpg

However, when I select patch and the edges to fill, I get "Operation unsuccessful" 😞

Can the fusion folks have a look and advise how I can fix please?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
big_red_frog

Appologies, I read you reply from mobile and didnt see there was an attached picture highlighting the error.

Saw the pics when I looked via a notebook just now!

Double Kudos 🙂

Still need fusion team to take a look.

Message 7 of 8
rishivadher

Hi

1º delet that small surface that is indicate and then do the "pach"

2º closed the rest of surfaces with "stich" the surface other close

1122.jpg

Message 8 of 8
rishivadher

had to zip because was having issues uploading the fusion file

the file is now close and confirmed

it would have better in the new beta Fusion interface, less forum and file transfer.

best RV

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums