Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion360 still crashes too much OS X

89 REPLIES 89
Message 1 of 90
cekuhnen
1583 Views, 89 Replies

Fusion360 still crashes too much OS X

The past days I gave fusion a lot of tests and encountered many crashes. The software is still extremely buggy and prone to say good by even with very simple files.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Tags (1)
89 REPLIES 89
Message 2 of 90
roambotics_scott
in reply to: cekuhnen

Just out of curiousity - are you using Yosemite ? I'm hoping not because I had a long call with QA yesterday and they tried to blame the instability that I'm seeing on that and me having my OS language set to French.

Message 3 of 90
Phil.E

Claas-

We are primarily concerned with finding the modeling workflows that reveal this weakness on Mac.

Are you using the Combine command?

Are you using lots of patterns?

Can you describe your tests or list the commands you are using when Fusion crashes?

Thanks for all your help to improve Fusion 360!

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 90
cekuhnen
in reply to: Phil.E

I use Windows 7, OS X Mavericks and Mountain Lion

The crashes happen on each system equally.

It also seems not to matter what I do, what tool I use or what I press.

There is sadly no specific patterm I can report.

The software seems still to be incredible unstable.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 5 of 90
roambotics_scott

Thanks - that's also consistent with my experience (frequent crashes with no specific pattern).

Message 6 of 90
cekuhnen
in reply to: roambotics_scott

The file recovery works well now so I do not lose data anymore. But I am not sure if I can this fall semester give this software my students to work with, without them mentally rejecting it because of the bugginess.

I see it more relaxed because I just observe the development and play with Fusion - while for the students they have to deliver results.

Last year I used Fusion as a secondary tool to develop 3D printing shells and hoped I could do more with it considering that the design timeline now also got more surface features.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 7 of 90
cekuhnen

and it did it again

I just made the window wider and Fusion crashed

before scaling - and crash dialog after adjusting window width:

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 3.03.47 PM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 90
Phil.E

Claas- what language is your OS using?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 90
cekuhnen

All use English.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 90
Phil.E

Claas-

What email do you use for your CER reports? I'd like to do some research on your crashes. If it's personal, you can email it to me at phil dot eichmiller at autodesk dot com.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 90
cekuhnen

But sometimes the browser opens and something is working but the form to enter the email does not appear.
So I cannot always report it.

Just did the report when the window size made Fusion crash few minutes ago.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 12 of 90
Phil.E

Claas-

Using your email address to search for your CER reports turns up zero reports. These reports are one way we can find out how a particular user is crashing. In this case it would be helpful to compare the CER reports from you and Scott, even if it's just a few.

Did you ever enter your email address? Or have you used another?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 90
cekuhnen

info@ckbrd.de is what I always use.

Now this is odd that you have no entry at all ...

Claas Kuhnen

Message 14 of 90
cekuhnen

so you see I am not making stuff up: Fusion just crashed again ...

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 4.04.07 PM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Message 15 of 90
Phil.E

Claas-

Wow, this is really unfortunate. The way you have been providing your email address doesn't work at all. I've just tested it and reported the problem.

From your error report it shows you were sketching and working with splines, right? This is helpful information. And of course, if you ever find a repeatable crash, the steps and the model file can help us fix the problem. You can always just email the data to me.

For the reports, there is a better way that will provide more information. When you see the first CER report page, please fill it out. The next time it happens, your email will automatically populate the email field.

CER_reporting.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 90
cekuhnen

Oh dear - sure will do it differently then next time Fusion crashed.

Claas

- - -

*Claas Kuhnen*

*(715) 513-9118 *
*www.ckbrd.de*
*info@ckbrd.de*

Claas Kuhnen

Message 17 of 90
Oceanconcepts

Just to chime in here, I have also experienced crashes- or rather not so much crashes that trigger an error report, as interminable hangs that cause me to have to force quit- which does not trigger a crash report. I would guess about 10 hangs to every “program quits’ type of crash. So you are not getting the relevant data from me, as the report window just doesn’t come up. 

I also can’t detect a pattern. I have been working in direct modeling, model workspace. In that environment it hasn’t prevented me from getting work done. But it is definitely worse, and I’ve had to downsize my window to be able to work at all, apparently becasue of graphics issues. Push-Pull seems more likely to trigger a hang than extrude. Clicking outside the window (to undo multiple steps, for instance) is perilous. My perception, which may be wrong, is that the faster I work the more likely a crash. Since I am very slow, and spend a lot of time pondering, that may explain why I experience fewer crashes than others. 

I am on a fiber connection that occasionally resets or suffers momentary lapses in connection. Fusion sometimes seems to fail to quit after this, or will hang on trying to save a version.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 18 of 90
Helmi74
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

I'd second what Ron said. I just deleted my "Frustration" post as i found it not helpful afterwards but i'm still on a high frustration level with these crashes.

I got lots of these hangups where you only can force quit the app without getting a chance to send a CER. This happens on Mavericks (10.9) and Yosemite (10.10 DP4). It sometimes happens after you leave the app for another task and it hangs when you comeback. Sometimes it hangs when closing/saving.

My Internet connection is quite stable though it is partly not available after the Mac returns from standby which normally works well but also sometimes lets Fusion hang forever.

Unfortunately there's still some data loss in these crashes as crash recovery doesn't work reliably for me for a few weeks now. In about 30% of my crashes i don't get the offer for a recovery file after restart.
---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
Message 19 of 90
cekuhnen
in reply to: Helmi74

I am not sure if the internet connection can be related to Fusion crashing when I resize the window or such. Ron might have a point - I work very fast and often Fusion needs some time to think before it can continue but that should also not result in a crash. Maybe the stability is a mix of various factors but to me it seems the software code just has some need for improvement - which is understandable since they still actively develop it and not even all features are in yet.

I was just really looking to include it next semester but with the problem of crashes and lack of certain tools I might have to wait a bit more for that.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 20 of 90
roambotics_scott
in reply to: Helmi74

I also have the forever hang on wakeup sometimes and I definitely agree about the ~10:1 ratio of unrecoverable hangs to crashes (for me none of that is triggering crash reports).

One nice thing about using launchd to trigger senddmp / the crash reporter is that it can detect user initiated termination events as well as hangs and other issues that aren't currently being detected or tracked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report