Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 controller?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
sanguish
5329 Views, 12 Replies

Fusion 360 controller?

I love Fusion 360, but whenI turn on the Gesture Support, I get nothing but grief from my Magic Mouse usage.

Is there a customized controller that works with Fusion that makes using this type of interaction easier?

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
schneik-adsk
in reply to: sanguish

Can you explain what gestures are annoying you?
Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 13
sanguish
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hi Kevin

I think annoying is strong.. but with the Magic Mouse, and gestures turned on, things are just all over the place, I try to drag, things rotate, zoom in, and I pan. I just can't get the behavior down.

I figured that there might be an orb shaped device for 3D modelling (I had one for gaming, and it was amazing).  Right now I have gestures off, so I can zoom in and out, but everything else is hitting a button on the screen, dragging to pan, etc..

Message 4 of 13
Oceanconcepts

I don't know if it will be any help, but I found the Magic Mouse to be impossible for CAD- at least for my fingers.  The slightest inadvertent brush sent things spinning out of control. The lack of a middle mouse button is problematic for Fusion, as well.  But I've never come to terms with touch pads, either, so it could be me. 

I am quite happy with the combination of a basic 3D Connexion Space Navigator and a 3 button/ scroll wheel mouse.  The Space Navigator and Fusion still have some work to do to operate smoothly when some tools are selected, and it takes a few hours to get the hang of it, but I'd have trouble getting along without it now. 

Ron

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

I think magic mouse and trackpad are not really that good for this program. If the device is disconnected in the middle of a project and then connected back all the functions will be wrong and you have to restart Fusion 360.  I think a wired mouse with three buttons is the way to go with Fusion 360. I use a vertical mouse and it is working very well. Using wired mouse will also minimize crashes. One tip, always use Shift Middle button to rotate the project rather than using the Cube.

Message 6 of 13
sanguish
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, I?ve never seen crash like that on the Mac.

A wired mouse simply isn?t a solution do to my setup.

I could try a three button mouse, but having to buy another mouse for a program with native software is not a great experience 😕

But thanks for the advice.
Message 7 of 13
Oceanconcepts

I've had good luck with a simple and cheap Logitech wireless mouse, though I do use a wired USB keyboard- only because I wanted the numeric keypad, and Apple doesn't offer such a keyboard as a wireless option. I was very happy to ditch the Magic Mouse, which I could never get along with.  I found its sharp edges uncomfortable for long sessions, and was always swiping or scrolling accidentally thorough just an inadvertent touch.  The buttons on the conventional mouse are more definite.  Actually all of us here found the Magic Mouse to be a poor fit for any kind of precise or detailed work, and none are being used any longer. I believe a touch surface would need to be larger to be sufficiently controllable, at least for my fingers.  

But I highly recommend the combination of the mouse and Space Navigator-  you can fly around the model while still using the mouse to control tools and selection.  Perhaps similar to what you referenced as a gaming controller.

Ron

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

had the same issues with the Magic Mouse and CAD.. Eventually it's been given to a colleague and I've got a more standard mouse, but it's worth looking at MagicPrefs, which is an OSX plugin that gives you a lot more control over what the gestures and contact points do with that bit of hardware..

http://magicprefs.com/

Al

Message 9 of 13
jamie.q.white
in reply to: Anonymous

I've had good luck using a trackpad to pan/zoom/rotate with my left hand, and a magic mouse for clicking with my right (I'm right-handed). It takes a bit of training, but once you get used to it, you can get pretty speedy.  It eliminates the touchiness because when you are clicking with the mouse there is no risk of a mis-interpreted gesture.

I am not sure how to change the settings for which gestures Fusion 360 recognizes from which device ie the gesture bindings. It seems like this should be in the preferences, but I don't see it.  

-jamie

Message 10 of 13
zakaria_kassar

I find it annoying that I can no longer use the space bar to activate paning feature on my magic mouse. Is there another shortcut? I tried the (alt) key but that doesn't pan, it just zooms in and out faster. 

Message 11 of 13
O.Tan

Not to sound like a marketer, but a 3D mouse is amazing if you do lots of 3D, it takes awhile to get used to it but once you do, you'll be flying around models like in StarWars.

I got the SpacePilot Pro, but it's wired and I personally feel the SpaceMouse Pro is a better buy (didn't exist when I bought the Pilot Pro). 

There's also wireless models, but I'm not sure if there's any problems with it and Fusion 360. (you'll likely have to custom map the additional buttons as Fusion 360 is not officially supported yet)

1. SpaceMouse Pro Wireless

2. SpaceMouse Wireless (one of the cheapest and basic)

Well Christmas is around the corner so perhaps it's time hint to certain people? 😉

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 12 of 13
akmakm2347
in reply to: O.Tan

how to fix fusion controls like other software, the zoom in and out is defiantly revers from other like revit, autocad archicad . this all have the same controls please help me how to fix this thing??

yossi
Message 13 of 13
TrippyLighting
in reply to: akmakm2347

I've worked wit CAD and other 3D software for 27 years. I find Fusion's zoom no different from most current mainstream CAD software.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report